New house

Balraj Appadu

Now that I am partly retired, I will begin my dream project: starting a new build once the bungalow which I am in the process of buying is complete, then will move to the next phase of PP.

The bungalow came with PP but the design was  not to our liking, so back to the drawing board for a new PP. As a newbie I will definitely need all the help from forum members. We have decided on a highly efficient energy house like Passivhaus but will not go for PH certification too costly!! A passive Timberframe with an insulated slab with triple glazed windows, MVHR.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

OK things are looking good. Still waiting for the PP in these Covid era

We have decided to make a highly insulated house in ICF with a metal roof covering with triple glazed Windows and if possible with external roller shutters

We plan to have some smarthome functionality without going overboard lights, thermostat, blinds security cameras and some music

However we still have to decide the foundations: insulated raft foundation or beam and block with low U values and UFH, the first floor posijoist with caberdeck or with a Lewis deck and screed for the UFH, roof in sips or other to get low U values.

The house will be covered in white render and cladding

Any help and suggestions will be warmly welcome for my dilemmas and help us find a way to make a decision

My plans are attached

Thank you

0227 100.pdf 0227 300.pdf 0227 100.pdf

Great idea 3g and external shutters are great, ours work so well we don’t need curtains. We have internorm windows and love them, wouldn’t use any other make. 

advise getting a physics model to inform shading and overheating. 

beam and block is dangerous for unwanted draughts.

u values for me should be less than 0.1

sips often have inbuilt thermal bridges and so advise mitigating these with additional insulation. 

Welcome to the forum. 

I really like your layout. It works well and should lend itself to a practical modern house to build and live in. Credit due to your designer.

My 2p, a small window in the NE of the study will make the room feel a lot larger. Assuming there is no overlooking issues etc and it doesn't compromise the furniture layout. Alternatively move the window away from the internal wall to give more balanced light inside. 

I would ditch the underfloor heating upstairs. You won't need it. Be cautious of the south facing roof light for overheating. Like Tony says a good model will pay for itself many times over. I used PHPP, if you have the time and interest it's realitively straightforward to DIY. 

Hello Balraj.

It's worth starting from under the ground up and getting a handle on the foundation cost. This is the bit that introduces uncertainty, and can "burst your football.. burst the baw in Scotland" , it can put the rest on a bit of a back burner.

A bit of time spent on the ground conditions here can save you a pile of money which you get to spend on the things that matter, the things you see, the functionality and so on that you want, and sometimes more too! One great thing about self building is that you can experiment, do stuff that no one else has and is unique to you, often at a budget cost. Put in the research work and get a handle on how things work and fit together. Adapt it to suit you, not something that a developer wants to sell you. If you get stuck ( say on ground works, passive slab / insulated slab design and the ins and outs) then just ask folk and you'll be surprised at the positive response you get.

Many get to a self build point where they can price the windows, roof, finishes, kitchens, lighting, bathrooms and so on. The uncertainty can lie in the ground, drainage, choice of foundation, soil conditions, and type of superstructure (the bit above the ground) and so on.

Can I suggest, although a bit dull that you go back and review from the bottom (foundations) up. Start by looking at the ground and what is best to put on top of that. There may be good savings to be made. If you are not sure post here and you will get a lot of help.

It's hard to wade your way thought the merits of different designs and insulation offerings / methods but much of it is not that complex. Yes, it is complex if you are working on high rise high end stuff but you can still get a pretty good outcome by simplifying things while still keeping the innovative concept... without the associated cost and design fees.

Have fun and all the best.

• Like 2

Thank you. 
still working on it discussion on for foundations been quoted a substantial sum varying from £40K to £45K for an insulated foundation

Given the costs someone has told my wife that she could have a basement for only about £30K above this figure costing about £75K

She is thinking about it: can see her point as she says we do not need to get it all done inside we can do that in stages as long as all the first fix is done

We are waiting for the PP thus we can do all the thinking before hand

How does one get PHPP software? To do the calculations

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for their advice.

PP achieved and demolition of bungalow started

Build warranty and building control in place, SE appointed

now the nitty gritty:

footings for Cube6 beam and block, U value 0.1, UFH in screed

However problems for SE original plan to have Nudura 4inch block as central spine wall but SE said no would not support roof

discussion about having some block work to support the roof.

1st floor posi joist with Lewis deck +/-UFH

TG windows with external roller shutters ordered from Josko, as well as lift and slide TG doors in dining room with external Venetian blind

MHRV Zehnder comfoAir Q 450 with Comfopost for cooling agreed

i need help with structure see below and any advice welcome for air to water HSP to supply UFH, DHW. The prices for MCS install of AHSP are eye watering!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you

0227 104 draft 201203.pdf 0227 101 draft 201203.pdf 0227 102 draft 201203.pdf 0227 201 draft 201203.pdf

• 1 month later...
On 04/12/2020 at 11:58, Balraj Appadu said:

Thank you everyone for their advice.

PP achieved and demolition of bungalow started

Build warranty and building control in place, SE appointed

now the nitty gritty:

footings for Cube6 beam and block, U value 0.1, UFH in screed

However problems for SE original plan to have Nudura 4inch block as central spine wall but SE said no would not support roof

discussion about having some block work to support the roof.

1st floor posi joist with Lewis deck +/-UFH

TG windows with external roller shutters ordered from Josko, as well as lift and slide TG doors in dining room with external Venetian blind

MHRV Zehnder comfoAir Q 450 with Comfopost for cooling agreed

i need help with structure see below and any advice welcome for air to water HSP to supply UFH, DHW. The prices for MCS install of AHSP are eye watering!!!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you

0227 104 draft 201203.pdf 111.17 kB · 8 downloads 0227 101 draft 201203.pdf 93.78 kB · 4 downloads 0227 102 draft 201203.pdf 92.98 kB · 5 downloads 0227 201 draft 201203.pdf 119.66 kB · 4 downloads

Hi guys

I always turn for the forum for lots of advice and some dilemmas which need clarification:

My latest on is to do with the roof construction: my build s now up and going really well, the Nudura walls are coming on well so I have a question about my roof made up

I will have a cold roof which will be covered in Greencoat PLX. In total about 140 m2. However my question is about the insulation: should I use PIR or Hybrid Actis.

Please see my roof design attached My architect says I should use PIR but other people have said that using the Hybrid Actis system would lead to better U values for the roof

Can I have some advice please

Thank you.

Roof construction.pdf

47 minutes ago, keith65 said:

Hi 

You would need to have a 50mm air gap above your PIR in a cold roof so you may have to go to 125  between the rafters and 75 on under side. I have 200mm rafters with 150mm PIR between and 75mm below and this gives 0.11 u value.

Not if it’s ventilated as per his drawing, he has it ventilated above his membrane below the osb. 

This is a standard method with metal roofs. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 20/10/2020 at 10:25, Balraj Appadu said:

Thank you. 
still working on it discussion on for foundations been quoted a substantial sum varying from £40K to £45K for an insulated foundation

Given the costs someone has told my wife that she could have a basement for only about £30K above this figure costing about £75K

She is thinking about it: can see her point as she says we do not need to get it all done inside we can do that in stages as long as all the first fix is done

We are waiting for the PP thus we can do all the thinking before hand

How does one get PHPP software? To do the calculations

£40K to £45K? Do you have unfavourable ground conditions or a really large house?