Warm Air Hand Dryers - Anyone Used?

Has anyone installed one of these at home, and how did you find it compared to traditional towels etc.

(Even more esoteric perhaps than some of the appliances we discuss.)

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

We had Dyson Airblade hand dryers at work.  Very effective, better than any other air hand dryer I've ever used, but incredibly noisy.  This was some time ago, though, so I don't know if Dyson has tackled the noise problem or not.

The Dyson air blade tap would probably look a little better in a residential setting but £1300 buys a lot of kitchen roll

2 minutes ago, daiking said:

I thought they were germ factories? ? 

(not virus though ?)

One reason we used them at work was that the air feed has a HEPA filter.  As long as the hands that are put in the airstream have been properly washed there shouldn't be any risk of pathogen spread.

I'm trying to work out my COVID management-at-home approach.

My thinking (which may be wishful thinking) is that one Ockham way to minimise transfers, assuming that some has managed to transfer past the front door, is simply to minimise hand contact with things.

Towels being one possible transfer route, I was wondering about hand dryers.

Use of kitchen roll on a dispenser achieves the same objective, however there are hand dryers down to under £200, and that is a lorra-lorra kitchen roll.

Similarly I am wondering about minimising contact with door handles by keeping all doors open, which works with the heating in a well-insulated house. Alternatively one could open ajar doors with a shoulder and close them with a twerk. The magnetic catch-it-and-keep-it-open things I put in to stop them bouncing back on mums's wheelchair when pushed open facilitate that.

Just thinking aloud.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Just wash your hands when you come in from outside, once they have been washed there is nothing to worry about, at least in terms of surfaces.

If I go out I am carrying a pack of surface wipes to wipe down the handle on the shopping trolley or basket.

I am now working from home and plan to go out as little as possible which isn't exactly a hardship for a few weeks. I know not everyone is lucky enough to do this, but the cost to reduce your risk is pretty low.

Edited by AliG

9 minutes ago, AliG said:

Just wash your hands when you come in from outside, once they have been washed there is nothing to worry about, at least in terms of surfaces.

If I go out I am carrying a pack of surface wipes to wipe down the handle on the shopping trolley or basket.

I am now working from home and plan to go out as little as possible which isn't exactly a hardship for a few weeks. I know not everyone is lucky enough to do this, but the cost to reduce your risk is pretty low.

It's hard trying to get this message across, though.  Had a chat with my MiL this morning.  She's very bright, but in a high risk group (well over 80, COPD and poor eyesight which doesn't help).  She's just adopted the "clean anything new that comes into the house" principle without prompting, along with the need to wash your hands if there's a chance they've become contaminated. 

Others seem to be struggling with this, though.  I heard a lady in the village complaining that all this hand washing was making her hands sore.  Seems she thought she needed to wash her hands regularly through the day, even if there had been no risk they'd been contaminated. 

The message on hand washing really needs to clarified, so that everyone can understand why there is a need to do it under certain circumstances.

2 hours ago, daiking said:

I thought they were germ factories? ? 

(not virus though ?)

I think it was the puddle of water that collects at the bottom of the dryer, I recall someone tested that at a service station and it was pretty grim.

Paper towels are the most hygenic way to dry your hands. Forced air dryers effectively aerosolize water from your hands and blast them all around the room. Dyson air blade is particularly effective in blasting them straight back in to your face, along with whatever is growing in the manky puddle below. I hold my breath and lean away when using public hand dryers.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/air-dryers-vs-paper-towels/

Edited by Conor