Cheapest decent power Mitre saw?

Delicatedave

250mm is a big ask unless it’s a sliding mitre saw - would need a 330mm blade on a standard chop saw. 

May be better to buy a decent aluminum square and a couple of clamps and use a standard circular saw. Will get you just as square for £10

8 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

[...]Is going down to the £60 range worth it?[...]

No.

If by chance you do find something at that price, the cost of ownership will be high.

A standard circular saw with a crosscut sled, and suitable PPE. You can make your own crosscut sled for a few quid. There a lots of YT videos showing you how.

39 minutes ago, Conor said:

The smaller evolution rage can be got for less than £100 and will cut that. I've had mine for 5+ years and I'm still on the original blade. It's great.

The small Evo only does 210mm ..?

7 hours ago, Conor said:

The smaller evolution rage can be got for less than £100 and will cut that. I've had mine for 5+ years and I'm still on the original blade. It's great.

Really? Evolution was a range I had ruled out really like Draper.

I have an Evolution mitre saw.  Pretty near indestructible, and I've seriously abused it, like cutting off lumps of 4" aluminium bar stock with it.  Only thing that has played up randomly has been the laser guide.   Mines about 6 years old now.

@Delicatedave can't fault mine. It's the compound mitre saw with the 230mm blade I think. I've even swapped the blade for a diamond stone cutting blade for cutting tiles and coping stones. Cost me about £80 a few years ago. I see the prices have gone up tho.

• Like 1

Erbauer does one for just over £100 with 254mm cut. I found this brand not bad value at all, I have 18v products from this brand. But it's the cut quality I'm after so looking for people who have used these low cost brands. I have a circular saw I can use if I want to spend 8 hours getting it but if I get a mitre saw now I can use the circular as a saw bench when I build my workshop and the mitre saw as a snappy cross cut saw.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I have an Evolution mitre saw.  Pretty near indestructible, and I've seriously abused it, like cutting off lumps of 4" aluminium bar stock with it.  Only thing that has played up randomly has been the laser guide.   Mines about 6 years old now.

Interesting, but does it cut true ?

23 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

Interesting, but does it cut true ?

My old Rage 3 isn't too clever at remaining square if you keep moving it about. Once set it's alright. 45 either way isn't 45 and needs setting too.

I wouldn't be without it though. Galvanised conduit, scaffold tubes, bricks with the diamond blade. It's a great all rounder but not a precision tool. Useless for cutting through housings.

The two nephew's later Rage 3s are much better.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

And there's the problem. Got a table saw? Make yourself a free crosscut sled out of waste wood. Fun and free.

Yea but that would mean take the wood to the saw for each cut up and down stairs etc.

I don't have my power saw with me it's a 8 hour trek to get it. My thought is I would get a mitre saw now for this job and then use the power saw for a saw bench later. There by having both crosscut and rip saw in my nice new workshop I'll be making. But I've been spoilt by using professional workshops in the past. Can't be having all this check check adjust ?

I think I'll probably just have to get in the car this week unless Screwfix have a discount ?

Thought I would finished the tread off with a conclusion. Ended up buying EVOLUTION FURY5-S 255mm Multipurpose Table Saw.

Thought were I could buy a mitre saw for the price which could be OK at one thing but I suspect I would never be happy with it. A saw table always for more things even if I won't be totally happy with most of those but this is about the best I'll get under £500 I recon. And I got it for £140 with is about as much as I can afford. As long as I'm careful with it, it should be ok for a few years.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2