Water softener

Oz07

Excuse the laziness

Plumber will be here in the coming week. Want to set pipework up for a softener to be added in future. Does anyone have a diagram or can tell me which parts I need.

I think I see something on here recently. Was it something like a lever tap with a valve both sides so you can effectively divert the water through the softener?

Thanks in advance

34 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

What's the pipe through the exterior wall for?

It's the overflow pipe from the brine tank.  It won't normally have anything flowing through it, and can be plumbed to a drain, rather than out through the wall (ours is plumbed to a drain, well above the connection from the normal drain pipe to the same drain).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

wonder why it’s not into the drain then ..? What’s the other drain pipe for..? Wash back ..??

The reason they don't share the same pipe is that the brine over flow is very low pressure, just the head of brine in the outer tank if the fill valve starts letting by (in essence it's just like a ball cock).  The drain from the back wash is at close to mains pressure.  Because of the need for no obstruction to flow from the brine overflow, it can't easily be fitted with a non-return valve, so can't be combined with the high pressure back wash drain.  Ideally, the brine overflow also needs to be visible, so either fed outside or have a tundish if connected to a drain, but it's easy to see if the level of brine is too high, as you can see it when you check, or replace the salt blocks.

6 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

So drain point can be higher just like washing machine. Brine out through wall

To an extent, yes.

4 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

What size are those connections I tried zooming in but no joy

The brine overflow is about  19mm/3/4" OD, maybe 12mm/1/2" bore, IIRC, the back wash drain is about 10mm OD, so probably about 7mm bore.

15 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Sorry I meant to water connections. From memory they are 3/4" connections?

Yes, they are 3/4" connections.  The flexible pipes that came with the softener were very small bore, and I replaced them with full bore flexible pipes.  Not sure how much difference this made, but it just seemed daft to connect it up with what looked to be washing machine hoses.

What size is your main plumbing? 15mm or 22mm?

if you can you should get full bore lever valves with either 15 or 22mm x 3/4” male threads as the standard Washmac valves and ballofix tend to restrict the flow some what and you will get a small pressure drop across the resin bed of the softener . If you can’t find those then regular full bore lever valves then small piece of pipe then fit a 15 or 22mm x 3/4” Male Iron to connect the hoses to. 

Inlet valve to softener, Outlet valve from softener &  A Bypass tap. If you need to turn the softener off for maintenance or a fault you just turn all three valves shutting off the water in/out to the unit and opening the bypass. Thus feeding untreated water to the house. 
In an emergency though you could just loop a hose from the inlet to the outlet if you don’t fit a bypass tap. 

I used three full bore 22mm ball valves for mine, like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-lever-ball-valve-yellow-22mm/30584

Not too bulky.  I arranged them on a straight run of 22mm pipe along a wall, pretty much exactly as in that diagram, with a tee to the inlet valve that feeds the softener, an inline valve to the next tee that acts as the bypass then another tee to a valve that takes the outlet from the softener.  With the inline valve closed and the other two open water flows through the softener.  With the two valves connected to the softener closed and the inline valve open the softener is bypassed, really just for allowing a water supply if the softener needs maintenance.

Just now, Oz07 said:

Look to be same as mine then? Is the male end on these sized for softener or so I drop it down?

I used a short bit of 22mm pipe on the softener end of each valve, fitted with  compression 22mm to 3/4" BSPM fitting, to accept the fitting on the end of full bore 3/4" flexis.

• Like 1