Armoured cable

Pocster

Need to install some for outdoor electrics .

Is it ok to have armoured cable outside ; then once inside the build have it ‘join’ to normal wiring ? . The joint though will have no access - so fit and forget .

Is any of that allowed ???

Yes that is how you normally do it... assuming you use a Wago or similar connector. 

Alternative is that you put an adaptable box on the outside and terminate in that - can be sometimes easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Need to install some for outdoor electrics .

Is it ok to have armoured cable outside ; then once inside the build have it ‘join’ to normal wiring ? . The joint though will have no access - so fit and forget .

Is any of that allowed ???

It's pretty difficult to make a maintenance free joint between SWA and T&E.  It can be done, but if you can possibly avoid doing it life would be a great deal easier.  What's the reason for not running the SWA inside the house?  The easiest solution is usually to run the SWA to where it needs to connect, then, if need be, terminate it in a small box, fitted with the appropriate glands, and run a short length of T&E to the CU or wherever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

It's pretty difficult to make a maintenance free joint between SWA and T&E.  It can be done, but if you can possibly avoid doing it life would be a great deal easier.  What's the reason for not running the SWA inside the house?  The easiest solution is usually to run the SWA to where it needs to connect, then, if need be, terminate it in a small box, fitted with the appropriate glands, and run a short length of T&E to the CU or wherever.

The only reason is I need 3 armoured runs as spec’d by sparky . Unfortunately ages ago when I ordered the cable I ordered 3 rolls of 25m . Just isn’t long enough ?

What size SWA? How many cores?

The nearest you'll get to maintenance free is take the swa and t&e into an adaptable box and use Wagos. The earth flylead from the Piranha nut maintains earth continuity to the actual armour of the swa. The screws there though mean it's not mf even though the L&N would be deemed so. 

41uXPczTaaL._SX300_QL70_.jpg_cf.jpg.0d12b2eaf3a296de3209aeaf5d563d90.jpg

• Like 1

The way I'd do it, if I really had no alternative, would be to make an adhesive  heat shrink covered staggered splice, using constant force springs to connect to the cable armour and crimped, heat shrink butt joint splices for the wires.  Fiddly to do in situ, and I'd still avoid doing it unless there was no real alternative.  Every time I use constant force springs the damn things make me curse, but they are classed as a maintenance free jointing method for SWA armour, when fitted correctly and encapsulated.

Yes, constant force springs are the supplied method for termination in potted joints.  They never inspire me with much confidence, but the manufacturers say it's okay so it must be.  The important thing I think (as in a potted compound box) is no strain is put on the connection.

So how about the standard adaptable box method with wago's, AND an additional earth onto the armour outside the box with a constant force spring, and take that into the box to join with wago's.

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Can you not find a location where the junction boxes will be accessible, e.g. in a cupboard?  Or you can make the connection inside a metal flush back box set in a wall and just fit a blank plate.

No where really to stick a box . Though I could allow for that if I knew where everything else was going ?

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes, constant force springs are the supplied method for termination in potted joints.  They never inspire me with much confidence, but the manufacturers say it's okay so it must be.  The important thing I think (as in a potted compound box) is no strain is put on the connection.

So how about the standard adaptable box method with wago's, AND an additional earth onto the armour outside the box with a constant force spring, and take that into the box to join with wago's.

I have to say they don't inspire me with much confidence, either.  Always get the feeling that they aren't really making a tight connection (as well as the damned things being fiddly to fit).  We used to use them for bonding shielded aircraft wiring, though, with an adhesive heat shrink sleeve over the top, and I've seen them used to join underwater armoured cables the same way, so they must be OK.  You can get heat shrink cable jointing kits that use them, too, like this: https://www.swaonline.co.uk/cable-jointing/heatshrink-joint-kit/heatshrink-cable-joint-kit

3 hours ago, pocster said:

[...]

Is it ok to have armoured cable outside ; then once inside the build have it ‘join’ to normal wiring ?

[...]

@pocster are you spying on me and copying my every move?

Almost every time you post something I'm in the course of doing the same thing, or just messed it up and am starting again.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

@pocster are you spying on me and copying my every move?

Almost every time you post something I'm in the course of doing the same thing, or just messed it up and am starting again.....

Yes !

I’m watching everything you do . Wish I hadn’t seen that incident in the bathroom though ?