Solar Panels in Outer Hebrides

Nick A

Hi - I wonder does anyone have experience of a reliable PV Installer in the Outer Hebrides?

We are building a house this year on the Isle of Barra and I’m struggling to find a local installer to do the work this summer. 

I may have to get them over from the mainland but that will add extra travel and accommodation costs so any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks, Nick

2 hours ago, Nick A said:

Hi - I wonder does anyone have experience of a reliable PV Installer in the Outer Hebrides?

We are building a house this year on the Isle of Barra and I’m struggling to find a local installer to do the work this summer. 

I may have to get them over from the mainland but that will add extra travel and accommodation costs so any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks, Nick

You will struggle to get an installer.

Might be one trade you have bite the bullet and pay for travel from the mainland.  Two recent installations in Uist had contractors from the mainland. Unfortunately I don't who the contractor were but this was mentioned as a passing comment to me.

If you find a contractor in Stornoway your going to pay for travel anyway.

Renewables companies based in the southern isles tend to be geared around heat pumps and turbines.

There is no feed in tariff any more.  That removes the need for an MCS installer to do the job.  So any competent electrician can connect them.

If you do that, you won't be able to claim the miserable 5p export rate, but the amount you are likely to export makes it not worth paying the "MCS premium"  just to claim such a smal amount.  (I would have earned about £12 export payment in the last year had I been eleigible)

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I fear The Dreamer is probably right. We are going to use a Sunamp heat battery and the house will be all electric so I’m not expecting to generate any extra power that we can’t use ourselves. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I presume you have an electrician?  Is there one in the island or are you importing him?  I still don't see why he can't to the PV?

If you live in a small community trades can pick and choose the work they want to do.

Hopefully a local electrician can do the work.

1 minute ago, MikeSharp01 said:

More MCS installers are now offering a check and certify service which brings the MSC cert with it when they test your own install.

They must be getting desparate and realise they are no longer the golden goose.