Floor tile layout - narrow WC

Moonshine

About to lay tiles in a narrow WC, and not sure about the layout. One has center line in the middle other has a whole tile, as below

20200311_192328.thumb.jpg.2efa80db722b2d882179347e5f6b897b.jpg

20200311_192317.thumb.jpg.cc5ff78f4847fadda45d05ef4cf7b213.jpg

I have a preference, but interested in others thoughts.

Not helped as the WC is slightly off center

Edited by Moonshine

12 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Either that or diamond

We tried the diamond and it didn't look quiet right, almost making the room seem narrower.

The centre line in the middle of the room was my preference, with larger cut tiles to the sides, rather than the narrow strips or tile near the wall.

Diamond would be negated imo by the diamond pattern already on the tiles. Extra work for nowt. The smaller diamond pattern makes it look like smaller tiles laid straight.

I would go with the line down the middle because this has no risk of a need to cut slivers at the skirting - which would look messy.

Is it feasible to offset the loo to the centre line using a flexi connection?

But you will need to watch the tiler(s), or you will come back to find them playing hopscotch ?.

Edited by Ferdinand

Down the centre is very wasteful.  EVERY edge tile will be just a bit over half a tile leaving you an offcut just a bit under half a tile, with nowhere to use it.

Centred on the WC would be much more efficient.  Just a sliver cut off the right hand side (and with luck enough to reach into the door recess) and the other side will need less than half a tile so each full tile will do 2 cuts.

That side looks like it has the basin anyway, so centred on the WC puts it pretty much centred on the walkway.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The off centre toilet would annoy me and my OCD).

It does me, and there is an off centre window above it.

However hopefully mitigated by a thin cabinet (20cm) with integrated sink, going up the left hand side, as below;

1851130406_WCcabinet.thumb.jpg.36b6a0d1c1981d166b36e2b784202990.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Down the centre is very wasteful.  EVERY edge tile will be just a bit over half a tile leaving you an offcut just a bit under half a tile, with nowhere to use it.

He already has the tiles by the look of it, so there are enough for both methods (?)

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

He already has the tiles by the look of it, so there are enough for both methods (?)

The floor tiles have been an absolute pig to get hold of, first of the suppler sent the wrong one, second they sent the right ones out

But, on about 11-12 of the tiles one of the corners got damaged in transit, so they are sending out another box, so assuming they arrive intact i will have more than enough, even with the wasted centre line layout, as i have got all the ones with the corner knocked off.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonshine said:

It does me, and there is an off centre window above it.

However hopefully mitigated by a thin cabinet (20cm) with integrated sink, going up the left hand side, as below;

1851130406_WCcabinet.thumb.jpg.36b6a0d1c1981d166b36e2b784202990.jpg

That's new information.  I would say centred on the visible floor after accounting for what is covered by the unit, and accept at either end it might look odd.

Then try and centre the toilet also on that bit of visible flooring,

No I won't suggest also moving the off centre window.

On 12/03/2020 at 09:20, ProDave said:

Centred on the WC would be much more efficient.  Just a sliver cut off the right hand side (and with luck enough to reach into the door recess) and the other side will need less than half a tile so each full tile will do 2 cuts.

That side looks like it has the basin anyway, so centred on the WC puts it pretty much centred on the walkway.

I ended up doing as you mentioned

20200313_230011.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...