Interest rates

Taff

My understanding is that fixed rate mortgages are not that sensitive to the central bank rate as the money that backs them comes from other institutions - i.e. mortgage provider 'buys' a chunk of cash at a given rate and sells it as a fixed rate product. When the money is sold, they buy another chunk at the going rate and repeat.

Trackers obviously do move up and down in line with the BoE rate but are not normally good value.

Let us know what you find out,

47 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Coop Bank say they are passing it through in its entirety, I hear.

So SAVERS no doubt and with immediate effect.

to BORROWERS probably some time in the future and only partially.

• Haha 1

I think there are other things he's done so the rate cut gets passed on. Above my pay grade but maybe relaxing capital ratios or something? I did listen to it but don't understand it all. Did anyone else hear the other part about the businesses receiving the 100% rate discount getting a 3k cash layout or did I hear wrong

4 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Could I declare my hands-on self build to be a job, then self isolate with suspect Covid19 and pocket two weeks of statutory sick pay?

That might backfire if you wing it for 2 weeks.  What happens if you get it for real later on?

Is THAT where the idea you can catch it a second time is coming from? :ph34r:

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That might backfire if you wing it for 2 weeks.  What happens if you get it for real later on?

Is THAT where the idea you can catch it a second time is coming from? :ph34r:

If I subsequently get the real thing then my build stalls and I watch an excess of daytime TV. I cannot see the downside to pocketing £200 of SSP cash via the online self declaration process and then as a dutiful citizen spending it in the local economy, in the middle of a recession that would buy many extra hours of a pro roofer slating my roof.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

If I subsequently get the real thing then my build stalls and I watch an excess of daytime TV. I cannot see the downside to pocketing £200 of SSP cash via the online self declaration process and then as a dutiful citizen spending it in the local economy, in the middle of a recession that would buy many extra hours of a pro roofer slating my roof.

For one thing, it's possibly fraud. Is the phrase "fraud by false representation"?

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

For one thing, it's possibly fraud. Is the phrase "fraud by false representation"?

The real fraud is £190 billion of new UK Government spending borrowed on the never-never thus advancing the date when the international system of FIAT currencies collapses and when the Chinese and Russians take over.

I thought we were meant to fix roof tiles when the SSP sun shines?

19 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The real fraud is £190 billion of new UK Government spending borrowed on the never-never thus advancing the date when the international system of FIAT currencies collapses and when the Chinese and Russians take over.

FIAT is a fraud - where does all this newly printed money disappear to? The only thing I know is that every time money gets printed on the magic machine, the pounds in my pocket become worth just that little bit less?‍♂️

I think fiat will disappear eventually and be replaced by a decentralised cryptocurrency of some description?

We are already drifting into a cashless society - just a small step then from digital pounds to a digital cryptocurrency?

19 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I think fiat will disappear eventually and be replaced by a decentralised cryptocurrency of some description?

A crypto coin backed by gold looks attractive right now. The Government can afford to splurge at the moment because with interest rates effectively below zero there is no longer a time penalty to maintaining or expanding debt.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

A crypto coin backed by gold looks attractive right now. The Government can afford to splurge at the moment because with interest rates effectively below zero there is no longer a time penalty to maintaining or expanding debt.

But then gold is deflationary aswell - everytime a new mine is found they are effectively printing money!

A cryptocurrency with a fixed number of units is the solution.  Its value will then only ever go up rather than down.

55 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Maybe but I'd say the govt have a higher chance of successfully prosecuting you than you have of successfully prosecuting them :)

• Like 1