Electrical regs

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding the different methods of getting my electrical work passed. 

I want to avoid just having a company in to do the whole lot and would rather find somebody who will work with me so I can do some donkey work

i would like to do the cable laying out, fit boxes and all menial tasks

but before I speak to a couple of electricians I wanted to know the correct procedures. 

Thanks russ. 

Probably best to try and find a Part P electrician who would be OK with you doing all the grunt work.  There needs to be a degree of personal trust by whoever agrees to work like this, as the regs cover everything, including where cables are run, how they are secured (including the need for fire resistant cable clips or other securing methods now), how they are mechanically protected where they need to be, de-rating when cables are run in insulation or locations other than clipped direct, etc, plus the person signing off the installation will be signing to say that all the cable runs etc (some of which may be hidden from later inspection) are compliant, so they'd be taking your word that the runs are all OK.

Alternatively, you can opt to do the whole installation and then get building control to do the inspection and test.  The only snag I found when I tried to do this was that our local building control didn't have anyone who was competent to undertake third party inspection and test.  They are supposed to, but they told me that none of the Part P accreditation bodies were happy with granting this type of accreditation (makes sense, they very much want to protect their closed shop cartel business).

• Like 2

Originally John Prescott (remember him) told LABC that they should have the staff to check DIY work meets Part P and that if they don't have the staff then the LABC should not require a DIYer to pay for a Part P Electrician (it should be included in the fee paid to LABC). However that all seems to have gone out the window. Best follow @Jeremy Harris advice.

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can anybody point me in the right direction regarding the different methods of getting my electrical work passed. 

I want to avoid just having a company in to do the whole lot and would rather find somebody who will work with me so I can do some donkey work

i would like to do the cable laying out, fit boxes and all menial tasks

but before I speak to a couple of electricians I wanted to know the correct procedures. 

Thanks russ. 

All you need to know here. Page 9 & 10 perhaps most pertinent:

Part-P-Approved-Document-2013-England (1).pdf

Thanks all, what I should add is my father in law is actually a retired electrician, however he’s been retired now for 10 years and lacks any current paperwork. 

So I would like to get him up to speed and then get somebody with the correct paperwork to come and do a few inspections as we go to make sure they are 100% happy, and then help with second fix and do all the fiddly bits. 

I will have a read up. 

Cheers. 

It is a pain Russell. I am part P, and 16th edition (now at 18th) but i never joined any of the niceic's etc. I have explained in the past to the BCO who has been happy to accept a test and cert from an up to date sparks, (without confirming the install). But there are some who won't. They are, or were supposed to offer that service themselves, but i have never come accross a council who does.

If you have a good read up, and try and get your head around what is required, You might be able to find a single one man band sparky who will be happy to work with you, and cert your work. If however, he gets a hint that you don't know what you are doing, he will refuse to cert at the end. I am lucky, i have a good guy that will cert my work, but they are hard to find. To be honest, i'm not sure that if i could cert, i would be happy to cert work i had not seen or done myself.

I got my builders sparky to do mine with me doing the grunt, firstly I was too busy to do everything. The Sparky was happy fir me to do this as he was very busy and considered cutting back boxes in a waste of his skills. Job done ?

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I got my builders sparky to do mine with me doing the grunt, firstly I was too busy to do everything. The Sparky was happy fir me to do this as he was very busy and considered cutting back boxes in a waste of his skills. Job done ?

That is normal on site. You get a couple of the firms lower pay grade staff (grunts) pulling all the wires, cutting in all the boxes etc. Then the higher pay grade comes to test and connect. The actual test is comprehensive, and takes a fair bit of time. It is a case of finding a spark that is happy to work with you, if you want to do some of the work, and save a few bob.

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

All you need to know here. Page 9 & 10 perhaps most pertinent:

Part-P-Approved-Document-2013-England (1).pdf 2.34 MB · 3 downloads

Given the limited application of Part P (new circuits, replacement consumer units and additions/alterations in special locations) I've always wondered if you could get a Part P certified electrician in to fit a new consumer and a dozen or so circuits within the cupboard with one socket each. This gets signed off and you are then free to extend these circuits around your house yourself on the basis of it not being notifiable and therefore outside the scope of Building Control. Or is this as dumb as it sounds?

Edited by MJNewton

3 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Given the limited application of Part P (new circuits, replacement consumer units and additions/alterations in special locations) I've always wondered if you could get a Part P certified electrician in to fit a new consumer and a dozen or so circuits within the cupboard with one socket each. This gets signed off and you are then free to extend these circuits around your house on the basis of it not being notifiable and therefore outside the scope of Building Control. Or is this as dumb as it sounds?

I did something similar.  I ran extra circuits, mainly outside runs of SWA, terminated in waterproof terminal boxes.  The installation was inspected, tested and signed off, and when I came to add things like our borehole pump, water treatment system, outside power points and car charge point I didn't need to get anything "Part P'd".  I still have two spare circuits like this, one of which is earmarked for a battery system.