We just about to buy a plot with OPP.  Just looked at CIL form Section 4. 'Exception or relief for self build' and the owner have thicken the box 'NO'.

If we purchase a plot, will we have to pay CIL? or we can submit new CIL form for exception (council have exception policy for self builders)? chances of success?

Thank you

Edited by Torchia

Which form are you referring to? The application for OPP? I don't think that's an issue but would not hurt to get it confirmed from the council.

I believe you would...

1) Submit an application for Full Planning Permission

2) wait for it to be granted.

3) Follow the procedure detailed near the top of form 7 to the letter to claim the exemption.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200136/policy_and_legislation/70/community_infrastructure_levy/5

That usually means forms 2, 7(part 1), 6, 7(part 2).

Keep copies of all forms and letters. Send everything recorded delivery. Ask for reciepts ! One form lost in the post and you can accidentally loose the exemption.

Get any pre-commencement planning conditions formally discharged in writing before submitting form 6. Do not start any work on site before the commencement date on form 6 or before they acknowledge reciept of form 6 in writing.

Remember you must submit 7(part 2) and live in the house for 3 years after completion.

There is also a time limit for the VAT reclaim.

You might also consider life insurance to cover the CIL. I'm not kidding. I recall someone posted awhile back saying their husband had died during construction and the council said if the wife didn't live in the house she would loose the exemption and be liable for the cil. I can't remember how that turned out but council's appear to be looking for any excuse to cancel your exemption. One person lost it by sending the commencement notification by email. 

• Thanks 1