EICR testing for rental property

Like some on here we rent out our old house and the agent has told us it now needs an EICR certificate, it was tested and failed on a few minor points which the electrician  has given us a quote. A few minor things, like loose ceiling rose, I can fix myself but the quote included installing “two fire angel Remote smoke detectors. “. The property has two battery smoke detectors that I fitted myself, are these now not sufficient?

Also they recommend changing out the CU to an 18th edition metal clad model, I know these are now a requirement for new builds but the existing one is serviceable in my opinion, thoughts please?

if I mend the few minor problems and decline the smoke  detectors and 18th edition CU will I have to pay fir another test to achieve a certificate?

I believe that rented properties now have to have wired and linked smoke/heat detectors.  @Ferdinand may well know more, as he's up to speed with the regs that apply to rental places.

I don't believe there is any requirement to change the CU out, but it will always get a C3 and be noted on an EICR now.  Anything with a C3 doesn't require action, it's just an observation, really.

Strictly the smoke alarm is not a failure on the EICR.  If the sparky has "failed" the EICR for no hard wired smoke alarms then he is WRONG.

However hard wired smoke alarms is a separate requirement for rental properties. Only just coming into force in England, but has been a requirement for Scotland for some time.

There is a lot of discussion on the electricians forum as they are trying to bring in a different competent persons scheme for doing EICR's over and above any others.

A non 18th edition CU as noted is a C3 at most so NOT a failure.  There is no such thing as a failure, it is either Satisfactory, or not satisfactory. and to be not satisfactory it has to have 1 or more C2 or C1 faults.

TBH this is now potentially so variable by property, rental type, whether it is an old or new property, whether it is an existing or new rental contract, and the Jurisdiction, and the Local Authority that I am not sure ? . And it has been a couple of years since I did a new rental.

I suggest checking with both the Local Authority Private Rental team and the Building Regs Department.  If they agree then you can be reasonably sure.

What I would say is whether it is Hard Wired or Battery alarms, then I would go interlinked. If Battery alarms, I tend to go for 5 or 10 year batteries.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks guys, the sparky says the smoke alarms should be “remote” ( just googled the “angel” and they are wireless linked), it’s this I am questioning. Just googled it and cannot find any reference to having to have linked smoke alarms.???

Looks like the regs has been recently updated - what I suspect they are quoting is the following from doc B -

"1.1 All dwellings should have a fire detection and alarm system, minimum Grade D2 Category LD3 standard, in accordance with the relevant recommendations of BS 5839-6."

"1.2 Smoke alarms should be mains operated and conform to BS EN 14604."

...then cross checking BS5839-6 for rentals here: https://www.aico.co.uk/bs5839-6/ - implies again that it now has to be mains powered.

Not an expert here by any stretch but it seems they are encouraging mains powered alarms (rightly so tbh). As per @Ferdinand speak to the local BCO/HMO dept etc.

7 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

Looks like the regs has been recently updated - what I suspect they are quoting is the following from doc B -

"1.1 All dwellings should have a fire detection and alarm system, minimum Grade D2 Category LD3 standard, in accordance with the relevant recommendations of BS 5839-6."

"1.2 Smoke alarms should be mains operated and conform to BS EN 14604."

...then cross checking BS5839-6 for rentals here: https://www.aico.co.uk/bs5839-6/ - implies again that it now has to be mains powered.

Not an expert here by any stretch but it seems they are encouraging mains powered alarms (rightly so tbh). As per @Ferdinand speak to the local BCO/HMO dept etc.

However it s not clear whether that is retrospective on the building or the tenancy, neither. So yes, take advice.

Edited by Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

seems they are encouraging mains powered alarms

that would be difficult fir us as all floors/ceilings are concrete. Perhaps I should just let them get on with it then no hassle. If I did do the work I guess they would want to inspect again to get the certificate, which is another expense ?

Edited by joe90

43 minutes ago, joe90 said:

that would be difficult fir us as all floors/ceilings are concrete. Perhaps I should just let them get on with it then no hassle. If I did do the work I guess they would want to inspect again to get the certificate, which is another expense ?

You need to understand, private landlords are the scourge of the earth and are a cash cow to everyone else.  If we make a profit, it's obscene so they have to bleed us dry to ensure that does not happen.

You wait until the compulsory legionairs assesment hits you.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

You need to understand, private landlords are the scourge of the earth and are a cash cow to everyone else.  If we make a profit, it's obscene so they have to bleed us dry to ensure that does not happen.

anyone want to buy a rental in ?Bristol?.?..??

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

There is a quip as well as a serious point there ? .

A legionnaires assessment should be included in your general safety assessment, and a typical one would be like discussions on here ... 'no water storage at the offending temperatures (or just "no water storage") as it has a combi boiler so the risk does not exist'. You should be able to do it yourself and there is a bit of a scam with people demanding pro-assessments.

Forms here for eg

https://www.landlordzone.co.uk/documents

Info here

https://www.propertytribes.com/legionella-risk-assessment-t-127639686.html

I cannot comment on Scotland being different or not.

Edited by Ferdinand

It  is also worth a note that an assessment is also needed if you rent out one room to a lodger. The HSE comments are pretty good - the word "proportionate" is your friend.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/legionella-landlords-responsibilities.htm

There was once a Greek myth about a paperless office. But it was just a myth.

Edited by Ferdinand