Internal to external drain connection

Pocster

Almost there !

So the internal black pipe is weld stuff . Man hole connection is push fit - how do I marry these 2 up ?

72B11AF8-152F-4CAF-8FD1-96565C384DF0.thumb.jpeg.050d6bf9901dc3543c141930e93b5b4e.jpeg

74FF4DE3-A0BD-44D8-8EFE-0F476D534E4B.thumb.jpeg.2ea052756396bd4e860d0c4bf7c1b304.jpeg

EE743868-077A-4DAA-AB3F-171F50B55D43.thumb.jpeg.034073e58613cc07cf80efb6c3d8658d.jpeg

Also during my excavation I inadvertently stuck the pick axe through the pipe ?

A cut section of curved pipe would act as a nice plaster over the hole . Assume this stuff isn’t weld friendly so CT1 it in place ??

D6778413-0575-4DC1-8FF8-959ADE9A2C0F.thumb.jpeg.0ed878fb49f77de5e76357c60f371e7d.jpeg

871C2967-F212-475B-A795-30B208B65D27.thumb.jpeg.b81572670366cfc5a3260c9b6df3b14b.jpeg

83B43BDF-6AEA-44C5-864C-2016C5A0C072.thumb.jpeg.a660c7626132b5729759b8269956a520.jpeg

Definitely cut out the damaged section of pipe and fit a new section in, rather than bodging it with a patch.  The last thing you want is to have the pipe fail later and need digging out to fix properly.  If you can't get the whole run of damaged pipe out easily, then you could fit a section of new pipe, joined to the old with a coupler.  In order to get the new section in you may need to use a slip coupler, so that it can be slid over the pipe completely, then slid back over the joint when the pipe's in place.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Definitely cut out the damaged section of pipe and fit a new section in, rather than bodging it with a patch.  The last thing you want is to have the pipe fail later and need digging out to fix properly.  If you can't get the whole run of damaged pipe out easily, then you could fit a section of new pipe, joined to the old with a coupler.  In order to get the new section in you may need to use a slip coupler, so that it can be slid over the pipe completely, then slid back over the joint when the pipe's in place.

That’s going to be a right PITA to dig out ; so I can lift the pipe high enough so I can get a coupler over it !

Weld coupler fits over push fit pipe fine . But I can’t weld these 2 guys together can I ????

Push fit coupler doesn’t go over weld pipe . Both have a rubber flange which seems to stop them pairing up ...

C224383C-7817-47B1-8E16-0730DE860D1C.jpeg

1 minute ago, pocster said:

That’s going to be a right PITA to dig out ; so I can lift the pipe high enough so I can get a coupler over it !

If you make a straight cut across the pipe, in a couple of places either side of the damage, you should be able to lift the damaged part away and then lift the bit that's fitted to the bend away.  You can then fit a slip coupler over the new bit of pipe, slide it into the bend and then line it up with the good section of remaining pipe and slide the slip coupler over the joint.

I had to do something just like this a while ago, and as long as the pipe ends are chamfered well, and lubricated, it isn't too hard to do.

• Thanks 1

Hmmmm - called around a few plumbing online retailers - doesn’t apparently seem possible !! . Problem seems to be the rubber flange on the push fit stops the weld fit going in ( even the weld fit end with no flange )

11 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Use a flex seal on solvent to u/g

Need to look that up .

but !!! 
I managed to force weld fit straight into the access chamber ! By pure luck of course ! So ! Coupler on internal soil to a length of weld pipe ‘push fitted’ into chamber !

CB2E0B3F-18D3-4F6D-9B23-246965796790.jpeg

I don't understand your problem.

The black "solvent weld" and the brown "underground" pipe are exactly the same size and BOTH will fit a push fit connector.  That is how you join them.  You can use a mix of solvent weld and push fit on the same pipe inside if you wish.

Strictly speaking you should have finished the black pipe just inside the house and that bit from the house to the inspection chamber should be brown.  The brown stuff is stronger and less likely to crush or break.

44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I don't understand your problem.

The black "solvent weld" and the brown "underground" pipe are exactly the same size and BOTH will fit a push fit connector.  That is how you join them.  You can use a mix of solvent weld and push fit on the same pipe inside if you wish.

Strictly speaking you should have finished the black pipe just inside the house and that bit from the house to the inspection chamber should be brown.  The brown stuff is stronger and less likely to crush or break.

Black pipe wouldn’t fit in a brown pipe coupler . That was the issue ; and I couldn’t weld a black coupler to the brown pipe . The difference in diameter is minimal but enough to cause a problem . I seem to recall some threads on here where 110mm in one make is not the same as 110mm in another make i.e one of them isn’t 110mm . 

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Never encountered that, I have found 110mm of all makes and colours has the same outside diameter (unlike smaller diameter waste pipes)

You did chamfer the end of the black pipe and lubricate it?

Yep - chamfer and lube up . Agree it shouldn’t really be black pipe exterior but it’s a short run and will probably get buried in concrete 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

it’s a short run and will probably get buried in concrete 

Don't do that; drainage pipes should normally be bedded and surrounded on as-dug material or pea gravel to enable the pipes to flex with ground movement, rather than cracking. Check out the installation guide for the brand you're using.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Don't do that; drainage pipes should normally be bedded and surrounded on as-dug material or pea gravel to enable the pipes to flex with ground movement, rather than cracking. Check out the installation guide for the brand you're using.

Ok ! Won’t embed it ! Pea gravel all around and over when I’m ready .

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Why? mine isn't.

I just wondered if he was going to use it for say washing down garden tools, rinsing buckets, boots etc. As in where any excess water will go.