Sips sole plate/DPC

Hi All,

First real post so be gentle please!

our frame is up now and the sips company have left site and it’s all up to me now. We’ve had quite a lot of wet weather up here in the NW Highlands and I’ve got concerns about the water that is coming in between the sole plate and the dpc. The amount of dpc overhang to me is excessive and was wondering how much to trim it back to.

I’ve still to clad the outside so am expecting some water to run down the outside but I am in the dark about this point.

Also how far should the breather membrane (FrameShield 100) hang down to as it is getting saturated sitting on the dpc overhang

Heres hoping for some help.

80D0D42D-8908-49F2-8432-C936E1F9D112.jpeg

01E867FC-1657-42A9-BA7C-8614BA69146F.jpeg

Edited by Longjock
Add pics

Welcome - can you post a few pictures? Always helps.

I find that if I take them on a phone and access the forum on a mobile browser, it's much easier than transferring them to a PC and uploading them that way.

We had a similar challenge, I just left mine untouched until the external skin was on and the external hard landscaping was complete.

I trimmed mine and applied a perimeter of 20mm thick EPS to tidy the outside insulation envelope, tucking the DPM under it.

I have a strip of Ubiflex (artificial lead flashing) to apply at some point to finish it off.

I would not worry about the sole plate too much at this stage. Mine is still pretty much uncovered now, although the cladding which ends about 400mm above the sole plate, protects most of the plate from rain. You could always slip in some DPC up behind the membrane to cover the plate as a temporary measure but I personally would not bother.

I would invest more time in working out how to deal with potential condensation issues around the sole plate (EPS would be the way to go as per Bitpipe).

Was your SIPs supplied by a local firm? Just out of interest.

• 11 months later...

Hi Oranjeboom,

Did you use Marmox Thermablock for your  sole plate to be fixed to and did you also apply external insulation to the sole plate?

Do you have any photos of this that you can post?

I am building with SIPS and about to do the foundations, read some threads on here about sole plate condensation, my design maybe old hat so would be good to see or have advice from someone who has done it.

thanks!