Newbie: Self Build in Dunlop, East Ayrshire

Ayrshire_Bill

Hi everyone!  I'm at Concept Design stage ready to go to pre-planning on a self-build near Dunlop which is about 18 miles south of Glasgow. 

My plot is a good size 1.86 acres and comes with planning approval for a house from 2005 (previous owner made a start installing septic tank and access road). However I'm looking to change the design to something more eco friendly, air tight and low u values. 

I'm hoping East Ayrshire planning dept. will allow a 2 storey (they approved a 1.5 storey) since there are other 2 storey houses around the area. If not then I'll accept it and move on. 

Also I'm going to specify ground source heat pump or air source heat pump - not sure which direction to go at yet with underfloor heating on ground floor. Upper floor I've not decided - depends on how much heating I need.

My main decision which I wouldn't mind hearing some views on is how airtight to go? If passivhaus is worth the additional cost and effort? Tight enough to need mechanical heating and ventilation or avoid that route? Also I've been looking at Scotframe Val U Therm SIP panels solution - has anyone else used these on a non-standard (Scotframe design)? 

I'm looking forward to learning and contributing on the forum! 

Hi and welcome.

You might find planning won't allow full 2 storey, they won't here, but at least worth asking them. Otherwise stretch the definition of 1.5 storey as far as they will allow.

Most of us found ASHP's make better sense. they are so simple and easy to fit.  There is a LOT of extra work and cost (and ongoing cost) for a GSHP and it is doubtful the small improvement in eficciency is worth all the extra work and cost.  Even having my own digger at the time I decided GSHP did not make sense.

If you are getting close to passive house levels of insulation and air tightness then like many of us, you won't need any heating upstairs.  Ours is a bespoke build pretty close to passive house standard, quote well air tight and mvhr fitted.  Not only will mvhr reduce your heating costs it will also give you very good air quality inside. 

I had a minor falling out with Scotframe as I wanted better levels of insulation than they offered. And as soon as I mooted the possibility of having one of their builds and adding extra insulation to get to the level I wanted, they halted the discussion.

• Like 1

We have what is apparently known as 1 and 3/4 storeys. Not quite 2 but, the headroom is a bit better than 1.5. Architect reckoned it would be more acceptable to planning that way, so you could consider that if you can't get 2.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Hi and welcome.

You might find planning won't allow full 2 storey, they won't here, but at least worth asking them. Otherwise stretch the definition of 1.5 storey as far as they will allow.

Most of us found ASHP's make better sense. they are so simple and easy to fit.  There is a LOT of extra work and cost (and ongoing cost) for a GSHP and it is doubtful the small improvement in eficciency is worth all the extra work and cost.  Even having my own digger at the time I decided GSHP did not make sense.

If you are getting close to passive house levels of insulation and air tightness then like many of us, you won't need any heating upstairs.  Ours is a bespoke build pretty close to passive house standard, quote well air tight and mvhr fitted.  Not only will mvhr reduce your heating costs it will also give you very good air quality inside. 

I had a minor falling out with Scotframe as I wanted better levels of insulation than they offered. And as soon as I mooted the possibility of having one of their builds and adding extra insulation to get to the level I wanted, they halted the discussion.

13 minutes ago, jamieled said:

We have what is apparently known as 1 and 3/4 storeys. Not quite 2 but, the headroom is a bit better than 1.5. Architect reckoned it would be more acceptable to planning that way, so you could consider that if you can't get 2.

Thanks  jamield - good advice

We started out saying "Passivhaus principles" at the (para 55/79) planning stage, mainly so that Passivhaus certification didn't become a planning condition, but we went for it and got certification. I guess certification per se isn't a pre-requisite, but going for the appropriate level of airtightness is worth it and aiming for the official badge does give a reason not to back off. Based on one year's experience, when we sign up for economy 7, we should be able to heat our 3,800 sq m house for around £100 a year using an ASHP to provide ufh. We are mostly single story with a partial basement floor (living space). So it does work!

• Like 1