Getting a little frustrated

What is it that solicitors find to do between instruction and completion?

It's now fully 3 months since my offer on a plot was accepted, and I instructed a solicitor. There is no mortgage to sort out, no survey, etc. As far as I can see it is just a matter of confirming the title, and getting the searches done. And yet, still there is no timetable for completion.

Initially, the solicitor guestimated things might be done and dusted around the end of January. Twice she's asked if I'm ready to proceed, and twice I've said yes. I get the impression that she only does work on the case when I ask her for an update.

Many are like that. I found one that was great on one house then next time was rubbish !!! Only thing that worked for me was phoning a lot and each time getting a target date and then phoning before that date to check all would be OK. If they are busy I think they may tend to work on whoever is making their life a PITA ? Be that pain ?

If the solicitor is doing a good job they will have contacted the utility companies to get maps and find out if any cables or pipes run across the property. They can take 4-8 weeks to respond. Perhaps ask for a copy of the maps as they could be useful later? or perhaps don't ask if you think she hasn't sent for them yet!

PS: We once had someone knock on the door looking to buy our house which was on the market. Four weeks later we completed and moved out.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stewpot said:

What is it that solicitors find to do between instruction and completion?

It's now fully 3 months since my offer on a plot was accepted, and I instructed a solicitor. There is no mortgage to sort out, no survey, etc. As far as I can see it is just a matter of confirming the title, and getting the searches done. And yet, still there is no timetable for completion.

Initially, the solicitor guestimated things might be done and dusted around the end of January. Twice she's asked if I'm ready to proceed, and twice I've said yes. I get the impression that she only does work on the case when I ask her for an update.

Short answer would be bugger all 

There should only be the CC searches 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

I think they’re all the same, they take their time to try and justify what they charge you!

Actually, I've had a couple of really good solicitors in the past, but they stand out amongst a lot of pretty poor ones. I had an on-going issue a few years ago - I got through 5 different solicitors, who were just indifferent and uninterested or incapable. The last one ignored much of what I had told him, and I had to re-write several letters for him to send out, because they just didn't cover the issue. Finally, he sent me a bill - I sent him a cheque for half the amount, telling him how disappointed in his work I was, and that I considered the account settled in full. Never heard back from him.

But yes, my opinion of solicitors continues to decline.

3 hours ago, Adam2 said:

? Be that pain ?

Some people would tell you I am already.

• Like 1

This is an all too familiar story. Keep persevering you'll get there!

As already posted I would suggest you become a pita....you ring them up and find out:

What specifically is outstanding?

When is it being done?

Why can't we do this today?

I'll be ringing again later to confirm that this has happened etc etc

Sounds basic I know but it is effective. In the past I've even contacted the other party's solicitor's as it's all too easy for them to be ambiguous on what they are waiting for from the other solicitor.

Good luck 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jilly said:

Someone else pointed out that the Land Registry is taking forever at the moment.

Gad, more delights to come. Actually, the land registry isn't involved yet - that comes later, and hopefully the Scottish land registry won't be affected.

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Keep persevering you'll get there!

Unless there is a good reason not to, I'm going to ask the solicitor to set a date to the 'conclusion of missives' (as they call the exchange of contracts in Scotland).

I had hoped to get on site before the nesting season so that I can whack down the jungle that's grown up on site. That'll have to wait, now, but at least it's giving me time to draw up some house plans.

49 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Gad, more delights to come. Actually, the land registry isn't involved yet - that comes later, and hopefully the Scottish land registry won't be affected.

Mine took them 3 years in Scotland. In the meantime my solicitor retired, the path of a right of access was screwed up (goes through the middle of my garage) and now it’s down to me to instruct another solicitor to sort it. I’ll do that when I come to sell (or next door come to sell) as it’s causing no issues currently. Complete pain though.