Opening Windows and Internal Colour

I'm just reviewing a quote from Internorm. Opening windows are 50% more than fixed so I am trying to work our which windows will have to open (majority will as bedrooms only have one window).

If a room has a door opening to outside, does it also need a window that opens? For example our large open plan kitchen and dining room has sliders that open and there is also a window above the sink so does the window need to open if we have large sliding doors? 

In the utility/mud room which has a back door to outside but also a small window. As there is a door does the window need to open? 

Also what colour windows do people have inside? My OH wants RAL7016 inside as the sliders will be this as will the rooflights but I want white ?

I would imagine fire regs would be ok with a fixed window in those two rooms mentioned. I find I use the windows a lot in my kitchen when cooking but I don't have MVHR to deal with excess moisture when the cooker hood fails to keep up. If the Utility room has a dryer of any kind, if you don't have an extract there, a opening window might be a good idea, otherwise you should be ok without. Big jump in price and it all adds up. The only thing about sliding doors is leaving them open invites vermin, whereas a window just invites cats....!

20 minutes ago, mike2016 said:

I would imagine fire regs would be ok with a fixed window in those two rooms mentioned. I find I use the windows a lot in my kitchen when cooking but I don't have MVHR to deal with excess moisture when the cooker hood fails to keep up. If the Utility room has a dryer of any kind, if you don't have an extract there, a opening window might be a good idea, otherwise you should be ok without. Big jump in price and it all adds up. The only thing about sliding doors is leaving them open invites vermin, whereas a window just invites cats....!

We currently have a dryer in our utility area and just open the back door with no issues.  Even with the windows open we have had squirrels climb in and birds fly in. We also had a baby owl fall down the chimney too!  I'm hoping a cat will help ?

I have just fitted all my windows and it did take an age to get the right spec for each room, 

as far as I’m aware there is nothing to say that any window needs to open unless it is for fire escape purpose

if you are using it for this purpose make sure you specify this to get the correct openings 

also check glass specifications in case you need toughened or laminated 

we have a bungalow and decided to go laminated all round as the extra cost was very little. 

We have 7016 outside and also inside. They look excellent. 

Be aware some internorm windows have a white section in the inner part that you see when they are open even if you have a colour inside and out. I think it was their upvc version. 

• Thanks 1