Painting new bathroom - fresh plastered walls.

DC5

Hi folks just wondering what everyone's preferred methods are of painting new plaster is. Normally I put on a pretty thin coat of dulux matt white emulsion then lay it on a bit heavier for subsequent coats.

Our new bathroom was plastered on Monday and I would like to paint it with a suitable bathroom paint such as the dulux one, however theirs seems to be getting some mixed reviews and really don't want to ruin the amazing job the plasterer has done! I also feel I couldn't go straight onto the plaster with the bathroom paint?!

Any advice appreciated.

We spray coated (£40 sprayer from Aldi) the fresh plaster with 2 wash coats (cheaper Armstead contract matt white paint mixed with some water, 50/50 ish for the first coat, then about 80/20).  Then in the bathrooms we did 2 coats of Dulux Trade Diamond Eggshell Pure Brilliant White.  With a roller.  Went on great and the finish is nice.  Plus it wipes down if needed.  And we haven't even put a splashback behind the basin yet as it looks OK with just the paint and the water runs off it.  Not sure how long it will last like that but pleased so far.  Same paint format for the ceiling too.

Dulux Trade Centre had 20% off everything when we bought it all so that was helpful too.

We used other Dulux Trade paints for the top 2 coats elsewhere.  Trade Diamond Matt and plain Trade Matt.  V happy.

• Thanks 1

+1 on the Leyland Super Leytex as recommended on here. Diamond matt over that. I also used Easifill after the Leytex for any imperfections...only because my plastering is less than perfect. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2020 at 21:34, Taff said:

If you think that the plasterer has done an amazing job why not leave that way! You obviously happy with it ?

The bathroom will always smell of wet plaster every time you use it if it's not sealed.