Internal or external insulation

Jilly

Just having Building Control drawing done and micro managing a bit. It's a block built conversion with feather board cladding.

The architects technician is suggesting external cladding as there is room for 60cm and it will be easier to eliminate thermal bridging at the steel lintels. Also it will increase floor space (only 60m2 single storey). However, I had assumed it would be easiest(  cheapest) to have internal insulations under whatever we put on the walls to line the blocks (or I could leave them bare but that would be a bit out there...!) as the job has to be done anyway and is more likely to be DIY/less skilled. Also the cladding can stay in place and the bats are happy. I have tendencies to worry about off gassing etc and so like the idea of sheets wool, hemp etc...

60cm doesn't seem much to me but apparently insulation on both the inside and outside can cause problems.

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions? 

29 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Just having Building Control drawing done and micro managing a bit. It's a block built conversion with feather board cladding.

The architects technician is suggesting external cladding as there is room for 60cm and it will be easier to eliminate thermal bridging at the steel lintels. Also it will increase floor space (only 60m2 single storey). However, I had assumed it would be easiest(  cheapest) to have internal insulations under whatever we put on the walls to line the blocks (or I could leave them bare but that would be a bit out there...!) as the job has to be done anyway and is more likely to be DIY/less skilled. Also the cladding can stay in place and the bats are happy. I have tendencies to worry about off gassing etc and so like the idea of sheets wool, hemp etc...

60cm doesn't seem much to me but apparently insulation on both the inside and outside can cause problems.

Anyone got any thoughts/opinions? 

600 mil 

or 60 ?

4 hours ago, Jilly said:

Yes, that sounds too thin to me too...

60mm of PIR and 100mm of lightweight aerated concrete will meet building regs for U-values, wether or not this is enough is another matter.