Building on a flood plain

newhome

That's a pretty good illustration of the way some developers can manipulate the planning system.  Be interesting to see how the Welsh Assembly responds, given that they seem to have over-ruled the sensible planning decision made by the local authority, that was upheld on appeal.  I can't see how the local authority can be blamed for this, as it seems that they acted sensibly in refusing the application.  Just goes to show what happens when politicians get involved, no doubt suitably "lubricated" by the developer.

13 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Steady son, I thought I was the only non pc one on here. 

oh no your not!!!

I can’t understand anyone buying a house on a flood plane, but then again I can’t understand anyone building a house on a flood plane ?

I suspect that a fair few buyers just aren't clued up as to what is, or is not, a flood plain.  I doubt that it's something the developers spell out to them in words of one syllable, the chances are that buyers may be told that there "isn't a problem".

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

To be fair, this house has not flooded.  It is in danger of being swept away as the river bank has eroded, so was it built too close to the river or was the failure of the bank unforeseen?

It seems the foundations have been undermined, along with the loss of about 30ft of their garden.  The local authority refused the planning application on the ground of flood risk.  The planning inspectorate rejected the appeal on the grounds of flood risk and the Welsh Assembly chose to over-rule both. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

It seems the foundations have been undermined, along with the loss of about 30ft of their garden.  The local authority refused the planning application on the ground of flood risk.  The planning inspectorate rejected the appeal on the grounds of flood risk and the Welsh Assembly chose to over-rule both. 

I do agree it was probably the wrong place to build a house, but was just pointing out it has not "flooded" i.e. the water level is not above even the garden level (what is left of the garden) let alone the floor level.  Had the river bank held, there would have been no story.

I also agree the local planners and appeal both made the right decision.

Do buyers of new builds never look at the planning history?  If I saw it had twice been rejected due to flood risk, I would not have bought it.

It reminds me of this one https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/795497/abergeldie-castle-brink-fearsome-river-dee-closes/

Abergeldie Castle nearly suffered the same fate in 2016, but it did not collapse, the bank did not erode quite that far, and I believe they rebuilt and shored up the riverbank and it still stands today.  I suspect this house won't be as lucky.  In that case 60ft of riverbank and several mature trees were swept away.  They probably thought 60ft from the river was safe.

Image previewThese are the fields next to our build that may have that may have 86 houses built on them. The whole layout is in a dip and is the flood plain for our end of the village but the local authorities seem to struggle to understand this!!

• 1 month later...

I did smile at the developer comment:

""The flood defences that were put in place during the development build performed as intended and successfully prevented any water from entering the homes in question."

But it is interesting that this decision goes back to 2005, and 2007 when the Welsh Gov overturned it. Their statement only relates to 2020 - classic diversion tactics.

This is the relevant bit of the report from ITV:

Newport City Council who own the bank turned down developer Redrow's original planning application, but it was passed by the Welsh Assembly Government on appeal.

A Welsh Government Spokesperson said: “The recent flooding is a stark reminder of how vulnerable many communities are to flooding, and how important the planning system is in managing flood risk whilst ensuring that we continue to build the number of homes needed.

"Our policy framework clearly states that houses should not be built on flood plains.”

And what the Council said:

Following the devastating flooding last month, Newport City Council is working with the landowners, developers and statutory partners to facilitate any additional measures required to protect people and property.

In 2005, Newport City Council refused planning permission for a residential development on the former Tredegar Park Golf Course on the grounds of the flood risk and the loss of the natural floodplain

The applicant appealed and a planning inquiry was held when the inspector broadly agreed with the council’s decision,

However, the Welsh Assembly’s planning decision committee considered the case after being called in by the Welsh Assembly Government.

It concluded that the risk of flooding would not be unacceptable and placed considerable weight on the applicant’s claim that new flood defences would provide enhanced further protection further downstream. The application was approved by the Assembly committee in March 2007.

Edited by Ferdinand