VirginMedia ready sockets : DOCSIS3 cable

I would like to put the Tv/Broadbank outlets ready to connect to the VirginMedia services by pulling the right cables into conduits while rewiring. We don't want surface cables all over again when the engineer installing the service.

I was told DOCSIS3 is the cable used by the Virginmedia engineers.
As i understand this is a data cable standard, not a brand but where can I find it to buy?

I believe DOCSIS3 is a compression protocol that they use to achieve the higher speeds, nothing to do with the cable itself.

Cable itself seems to be Hybrid Fibre Coax cable, but don't take my word on it, as I've never seen it in person

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

23 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

I believe DOCSIS3 is a compression protocol

Thanks, I think you are right. When I asked to virginmedia online support, I was told "DOCSIS3 cable" but the sales person was not so technical anyway.

I've found this guide:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-v1-63.pdf

I haven't read through yet but it seems just the RG6 cable is fine. Maybe need to check if there are high quality wider band width RG6 cables.

• Thanks 1

I hear that Virgin may refuse to use cable that they have not provided themselves. Of course, you could have them install N set-top boxes in one room and then move them to your own locations after they've gone, but still.

What I did was request installation (on a rolling contract) and then one week later tried to cancel. This results in a call from a customer service agent fully incentivised to help retention. ?

I explained I needed to do a pre-wire, and they arranged for an engineer to come around with plenty of spare cable which the gave me to pull through the walls during first fix.

See