Warm Flat roof all adhered VLC and insulation

Tony C

Hi, I am talking several roofers to get quotations for our flat warm roof.

Build up from below : Timber joist (exposed Douglas fir), 2 x 18mm WBP plywood, VLC (adhered), Kingspan Tapered Insulation (fully bonded), Single-ply roofing (adhered, IKO amourplan)

Two roofer says its fine they are all adhered, and One roofer prefer mechanically fixing the insulation.

"advantage with mechanically fixing insulation there will not be any weak spots i.e., corners, plus it will pull the insulation boards down tight and majority of the time level, therefore less risk of any slight steps."

Did anyone had any problem with fully bonded insulation on warm roof?

As the plywood are internal exposed and I am worried that the screws will go through and show internally....if they are not careful.

1815966721_ScreenShot2020-03-04at17_48_16.png.79c63746d40fbcdc93da785b6b30497e.png

2 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

i personally would not trust glued down insulation. i got to a site one morning to see loads of it all over the place. The cloth surface had been let behind...Mech fix for me, all day long.

+1, deffo mechanical fix

• Like 1

You have tapered insulation so potentially need a range of fixing lengths....used in the correct positions.  They will need to be carefully planned.  Make sure you spec the requirement for all fixings to penetrate at least Xmm shy of underside of ply deck.....it could change things for the roofing co’s approach to and costing of the job.

Actually, aren’t you having a green roof?...in which case I’d be less concerned about wanting mechanical fixings given how weighted down it will be.

Edited by mvincentd
Additions re green roof.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mvincentd said:

You have tapered insulation so potentially need a range of fixing lengths....used in the correct positions.  They will need to be carefully planned.  Make sure you spec the requirement for all fixings to penetrate at least Xmm shy of underside of ply deck.....it could change things for the roofing co’s approach to and costing of the job.

Actually, aren’t you having a green roof?...in which case I’d be less concerned about wanting mechanical fixings given how weighted down it will be.

Thanks mvincentd,

Yes it is complex that builder have to use the various length fixings!

I could add another layer of sheet (i.e. OSB) on top of 2 x 18mm ply, to make the roof deck thicker. This might make it more safer. I am just worried that if the roofers are not careful, the screw head shows up internally.

I am not having a greenroof BTW. I will ask the roofers who recommends adhered insulation if they had any successful installation previously.

Edited by Tony C