Hi everyone

Ola

I'm new to this forum and having been looking up some topics, I think it will be incredibly helpful in our self-build project. My husband and I have just started building a kit house in Scotland (Kintyre area). We are going to try and do as much as possible by ourselves. We are laying out Isoquick insulation raft next week - exciting! Making the panels after that.

I'm about to order triple glazed aluminium clad windows - have been considering three quotes so far - from Nordvest (the most generous), Rationel and NorDan. Tempted to get the Nordvest but can't find much information on them (apart from their website) - perhaps you guys can give me some hints on that matter in terms of your experience - which make would you personally go with...? (Started a new content in the 'Windows' topic area).

Cheers

3 hours ago, Ola said:

I'm new to this forum and having been looking up some topics, I think it will be incredibly helpful in our self-build project. My husband and I have just started building a kit house in Scotland (Kintyre area). We are going to try and do as much as possible by ourselves. We are laying out Isoquick insulation raft next week - exciting! Making the panels after that.

I'm about to order triple glazed aluminium clad windows - have been considering three quotes so far - from Nordvest (the most generous), Rationel and NorDan. Tempted to get the Nordvest but can't find much information on them (apart from their website) - perhaps you guys can give me some hints on that matter in terms of your experience - which make would you personally go with...? (Started a new content in the 'Windows' topic area).

Cheers

Hi @Ola

Yes we like photos here!

I would say on average, members favour Rationel windows here. I compared prices and went with Nordan as it was easier to get them to be delivered.

Perfect time to start a self build. ?

I'm also on the west coast in the north end of Skye.

I keep a blog here

28 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Perfect time to start a self build. ?

I really hope it is... With all the current changes I'm dreading what's going to happen to the material prices. We had unnecessarily procrastinated the start, awaiting some Brexit outcomes but now -  there's no return?

If I wanted to add some photographs here, where would be the best place to do it?

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

welcome @Ola, just looked at the norvest website, doesn't tell you much does it?

No, it doesn't, you are right. I'm coming to the conclusion that I will stay away from them, unfortunately (1k below others). Will try to negotiate with ADW (Rationel) and Nordan.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Ola said:

I really hope it is... With all the current changes I'm dreading what's going to happen to the material prices. We had unnecessarily procrastinated the start, awaiting some Brexit outcomes but now -  there's no return?

If I wanted to add some photographs here, where would be the best place to do it?

Cheers

You can copy them to any thread. If you see where the paper clip is just along a bit.

I keep a blog and take loads of photos  as this is useful later (where is stud or a wire/pipe etc?)

I think it also helps others see how the how the house build comes together. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I'm also on the west coast in the north end of Skye.

We used to stay on Skye for about a year, time ago... 15 years ago actually. In Broadford, loved it there. But were we are now is lovely too!

1 minute ago, Ola said:

We used to stay on Skye for about a year, time ago... 15 years ago actually. In Broadford, loved it there. But were we are now is lovely too!

I stay in Staffin, opposite the kilt rock if that makes sense!

Nice views in Broadford, Cullins/Sea.

How far along the peninsula in Kintyre are you?