Move BT master socket

Tennentslager

It’s in the wrong place and where I want the hard wire to go means up into the loft and down into the room with the router and server.

some say just run a telephone extension from the socket to the new location. It’s literally next door but the wall is 600mm thick so to route through an already made passage it’s about 4/5m of cable run.

Dont care much what it looks as it’s my charity working office but question is...

run extension or

splice/join the incoming BT cable and move the master socket. It’s a series 5 socket I believe 

needs to be complete by Friday so no option of calling Openreach.

If you know what cable do I need and where to buy it easily for Friday?

Thanks folks

Tip No 1.  Throw away the piece of junk that is the current version of the NTE5 master socket and buy the far superior older version.

You won't actually achieve anything by "moving" the master socket.  Just splicing on an extra bit of cable and moving the master socket will result in exactly the same length and route of cable, as leaving the master socket where it is, and just running a length of cable and fitting a slave socket where you want it. Then plug the router into the slave socket.

You only need to "move" it if there is some reason why an unused socket cannot remain in it's present place.

You just need 2 pair telephone cable, or 3 pair will do, and you can buy it in short lengths from most DIY shops, screwfix etc.

• Like 2