Anyone heard of Weru?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had quotes from Weru in Blackpool when I was sourcing my windows, they were almost double Internorm prices, and that takes some doing. Great specs available, but at a price. I have a friend self building who used them and he is very happy with the quality and spec. The fitters taped inside and out and did a good job. I believe he dealt with the head office in Blackpool

7 hours ago, Chablais said:

Hi, I had quotes from Weru in Blackpool when I was sourcing my windows, they were almost double Internorm prices, and that takes some doing. Great specs available, but at a price. I have a friend self building who used them and he is very happy with the quality and spec. The fitters taped inside and out and did a good job. I believe he dealt with the head office in Blackpool

Double Internorm ? oh wow! 

We are heading to a kitchen place nearby so will pop in and see. They may very well be too expensive, worth asking I guess. 

Thanks

Similar. For me internorm, GBS and Gaulhoffer were all similar sort of prices, but weru sufficiently more we didn't even write them down in the comparison spreadsheet.

(Unlike OP we were specifically after timber+alu so YMMV)

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, tanneja said:

canalsiderenovation, what windows have you honed in on?

You must be psychic @tanneja

We just come back from one of the Internorm distributors today. Weru was way out on pricing. Kommerling never replied to any emails, neither did Gaulhofer.

I did quite like Ideal Combi but there was so little price difference between them and Internorm (mainly due to the cost of Ideal Combi sliders due to our 5.5m size) and the difference in U values/overall quality I think we are set on Internorm.

Just finalising some pricing and hopefully will be proceeding. Our builders start on 1 June so I want to be pretty sure on our decision. 

OH liked the profile of the Internorm aluclad UPVC ones. The sliders also impressed us though I found them heavy (and that was some only 3.5m rather than our 5.5m) but I think that's because I've bu$$ered my shoulder/neck and have a trapped nerve currently so can't even carry my handbag.

I did find the handle set up weird on the sliders as when shut the handle points up and it's so big it looks like a big hook. I don't think the square profile helps so would perhaps look at a rounder handle instead for the slider.

We are fond of the aluclad internorm as well (windows and a 4.5m slider).  We canvassed for prices from 4 localish dealers, one with a good reputation for fitting is far higher (like 30%).  

We are currently unsure what to do about overheating.  Fortunately the sliders are north facing, but we have some east facing windows that will get morning light, and some south facing that will get spring / autumn daytime sun.  Wondering whether to go with a film (either with reactive or permanent tint), or ask for the glass to come with an embedded permanent treatment to reduce solar gain.  I may, for a laugh, ask them about sage glass for the east and south windows.

For the windows and slider separately (as they are different animals), do you have either your pre or post VAT £/m2 number you have been quoted, and whether that included install?

5 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

@NSS has had this fitted a while ago and may be happy to share their thoughts.

I have indeed, for over 3 years now. Happy to answer anything if I can.

I've read at least some of your posts from your install thread a few years back.  How do you feel they perform in keeping the house cool summer and the spring / autumn sun angles?  Is the tint overkill on bright days to the point where the views out are unfavourable (but I guess you accept that in exchange for comfort)?

Do you also have active cooling in the house?  Have you had any maintenance issues since install?  Do you know whether I ask any internorm dealer for their sage glass quote, or would one just order frames and deal with sage glass separate? 

Think the purchase costs have come down at all from what you quoted as the likely retail?  Currently provisioned for motorised internal blackout blinds, but appreciate by that point some or all the heat is inside the building.  Looking at 1st fix piping of active cooling such as a multisplit aircon unit.

Any advice appreciated!

1 hour ago, tanneja said:

I've read at least some of your posts from your install thread a few years back.  How do you feel they perform in keeping the house cool summer and the spring / autumn sun angles?  Is the tint overkill on bright days to the point where the views out are unfavourable (but I guess you accept that in exchange for comfort)?

Do you also have active cooling in the house?  Have you had any maintenance issues since install?  Do you know whether I ask any internorm dealer for their sage glass quote, or would one just order frames and deal with sage glass separate? 

Think the purchase costs have come down at all from what you quoted as the likely retail?  Currently provisioned for motorised internal blackout blinds, but appreciate by that point some or all the heat is inside the building.  Looking at 1st fix piping of active cooling such as a multisplit aircon unit.

Any advice appreciated!

Pretty effectively. We do have active cooling available should we need it but very rarely have, and not so far this year despite day after day of clear skies in recent weeks. Note also that we don't open windows, not even at night. As for the view out, even on maximum tint you can see out clearly (but not in), it's just tinted glass after all not shutters or blinds that completely obscure any view out.

We had one faulty unit (pane) on install but this was replaced without fuss. Tech support is great and after the first couple of years we had them (remotely) tweak the light values at which some of the glass tints as we felt it needed to happen a bit earlier (ie we'd had to use the active cooling a few times).

Not sure if Internorm would you now deal direct with SageGlass or not. We were Internet's first customer (at least in the UK) to specify it and had to order the glass direct from SageGlass and the frames from Internorm. No idea where pricing sits now relative to what we paid then.

One note of caution with blackout blinds. We looked at having Duette blinds installed on bedroom windows but the supplier refused to fit blackout ones due to the foil back reflecting heat back onto the 3D glazing due to concerns about causing such units to fail.

Hope all that helps but feel free to ask if you have any further questions I may be able to assist with.

9 hours ago, tanneja said:

We are fond of the aluclad internorm as well (windows and a 4.5m slider).  We canvassed for prices from 4 localish dealers, one with a good reputation for fitting is far higher (like 30%).  

We are currently unsure what to do about overheating.  Fortunately the sliders are north facing, but we have some east facing windows that will get morning light, and some south facing that will get spring / autumn daytime sun.  Wondering whether to go with a film (either with reactive or permanent tint), or ask for the glass to come with an embedded permanent treatment to reduce solar gain.  I may, for a laugh, ask them about sage glass for the east and south windows.

For the windows and slider separately (as they are different animals), do you have either your pre or post VAT £/m2 number you have been quoted, and whether that included install?

I have a total figure and am happy to PM you what we have been quoted if you want me to (haven't worked it out per m2 and separating out the windows and sliders as we have negotiated a discount on pricing after an initial mess up with our quote). Price includes install as our location isn't the easiest to access and I'd rather they take the responsibility incase anything goes wrong with the sliders. We had significant variation in pricing from three different Internorm distributors.

Our sliders are north west facing and we have a fair few windows North East and South West but I'm not worried about overheating - but that's because I'm never warm!

@NSS, I spoke with an internorm distributor this week, and asked about sage glass.  They remarked that when when clear, if you try to look through the glass at an angle (i.e. not perpendicular), then view starts to get obscure, to the point of totally obscure as you get closer to parallel.  Is this your user experience?  His stance was that it was a product not suited to house external windows.

6 hours ago, tanneja said:

@NSS, I spoke with an internorm distributor this week, and asked about sage glass.  They remarked that when when clear, if you try to look through the glass at an angle (i.e. not perpendicular), then view starts to get obscure, to the point of totally obscure as you get closer to parallel.  Is this your user experience?  His stance was that it was a product not suited to house external windows.

Then I can only tell you that he's talking out of his anal orifice. Just taken this with camera held virtually parallel to the glass.

IMG_20200603_1729425.jpg

@NSS what is the guy smoking?! It must be a different product, despite me saying sage glass specifically.  Thank you for the clarification.  I have asked about an integrated tint (SKN 176 II) but that comes with the dull weather drawback, I want to see how they price relative to each other.

Even with Sage Glass, and presumably good insulation throughout the house (and MVHR?), do you think active cooling is necessary for you to feel totally comfortable?

28 minutes ago, tanneja said:

@NSS what is the guy smoking?! It must be a different product, despite me saying sage glass specifically.  Thank you for the clarification.  I have asked about an integrated tint (SKN 176 II) but that comes with the dull weather drawback, I want to see how they price relative to each other.

Even with Sage Glass, and presumably good insulation throughout the house (and MVHR?), do you think active cooling is necessary for you to feel totally comfortable?

Yes, and we have used it on odd occasions (for example last year when we had temps hitting 30C+). Reasonably well insulated (circa 0.14 floor, wall and roof, and 0.7 glazing) and Paul Novus MVHR. Also, bear in mind that we have relatively modest glass areas - more than you might find in a typical developer built home but we don't have huge glazed walls. Using SG for the latter would not only be expensive but may not be as effective in reducing overall solar gain so I would suggest active cooling may be essential. 

• 3 weeks later...

Active cooling deployed this afternoon for the first time this year. Despite the SageGlass being on full tint all day, the temp in living room had hit 24.6C by 4.30pm (outside temp 31C) so have turned on the five UFH loops that serve that area. Upstairs temp showing 24.1C (very little glass upstairs by comparison) so have also switched the air rad into cooling mode.

52 minutes ago, NSS said:

Active cooling deployed this afternoon for the first time this year. Despite the SageGlass being on full tint all day, the temp in living room had hit 24.6C by 4.30pm (outside temp 31C) so have turned on the five UFH loops that serve that area. Upstairs temp showing 24.1C (very little glass upstairs by comparison) so have also switched the air rad into cooling mode.

Hi there

We are running similar temperatures at the moment with doors and windows open, also no cladding on the exterior yet, which hopefully will have an impact. Would you share how much difference  the cooling has once you have switched it off.

Thanks.

Edited by JamesP

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Hi there

We are running similar temperatures at the moment with doors and windows open, also no cladding on the exterior yet, which hopefully will have an impact. Would you share how much difference  the cooling has once you have switched it off.

Thanks.

Well, three hours in cooling mode and the floor temp is down to 22.2C but the air temp in the living area is actually higher than it was three hours ago (currently 25.1C) but I suspect that's because heat is still permeating through the wall/roof. Upstairs air temp is down to 23.4C.

I should probably mention that 1/3 of the L-shaped living area has a vaulted ceiling with lots of south and west facing glass and a pitched roof that faces east and west so there's a large surface area exposed to direct sunlight for most of the day. 

Edit to add: doesn't help that Mrs NSS has been cooking of course.

Edited by NSS
  • Thanks 1