that was the message from site today. so up to site at 5pm to be told the gable window is the correct size according to the plans and the schedule, however, it's not going to fit in the gable. between steel and roof you've got about 850mm where it should go and window is 1200mmx900mm.

ok so how do we deal with this? 'will it fit if we lower it'? 'yes, however, it will be 500mm from the floor' ok, new glass and it''l look sh1te, turn it on it's side, at least we could look out at the right height, still need new glass and be low and look sh1te.

what's the solution to avoid a new window and write this on off, there is one. and how the hell did it get drawn and work?

Just now, MikeSharp01 said:

Oh err... It's the gable hole that is the wrong size then is there anyone who might be at fault?  

nope being stick built so openings sized to suit. oh yes, the f^"£!ng useless &£$e of someone who classes themself as an architect.

Just now, Simplysimon said:

the f^"£!ng useless &£$e of someone who classes themself as an architect.

Expletives NOT deleted but we are glad you got it off your chest. Why will it look so bad lower down, surely it will still reach the top but just go that, 50mm lower?

Am I the only one not understanding this?

The window is 1200 mm but the hole is only 850mm?  How the hell did NOBODY notice they had made the hole the wrong size by THAT much?

And to be out by that much is there a MAJOR difference between the size shown on the drawings and the window schedule?  or can someone not read the drawings and made it the wrong size?

who scheduled window sizes?

who scheduled size of window hole in timber frame?

i know it’s blame culture but someone is at fault and I hope they have insurance (unless it’s you ?)

I produced a window/door schedule and double checked it with our frame supplier, before sending it to the window company.  They produced their own schedule and sent it to me, with the request that I sign next to every window drawing, confirming that it was correct in every way (dimensions, type, handle/hinge positions, etc).  In addition, as soon as the frame was up they sent a chap around to check all the opening sizes, just to be sure.

You'd think this would be foolproof, wouldn't you?  Surprise, surprise, one window turned up 400mm too wide (a 2000mm wide x 1200mm high window to fit a 1600mm wide x 1200mm high hole).  The really great thing about all the checking was that I had absolute proof that it was the window supplier that had cocked up.

$h!t happens, and things always look better in the morning!  Assuming that the hole for the window in the gable has existed for a while and aesthetically looks ok (i.e no one identified that it looked 'wrong') then a new window might be the most palatable of the alternatives.  If you can't recover the cost (also need to consider what time and energy this might take) perhaps there's the opportunity to mitigate some losses - discounted fees, extras free of charge etc.

Sorry to hear your news, @Simplysimon. I don't think I can see a way round it short of finding the party who got it wrong - or cutting a deal.

7 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

$h!t happens, and things always look better in the morning!  

But I like the sound of that.

Self-build beer goggles work the other way round. ?

Minor disasters are an excuse for a series of medicinal beverages.

Edited by Ferdinand

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

Am I the only one not understanding this?

The window is 1200 mm but the hole is only 850mm?  How the hell did NOBODY notice they had made the hole the wrong size by THAT much?

And to be out by that much is there a MAJOR difference between the size shown on the drawings and the window schedule?  or can someone not read the drawings and made it the wrong size?

ProDave the drawing shows a 1200x900 window in the gable as does the schedule, however, a 1200 wide window won't fit in the space between a steel column holding the ridge and the roof slope. there is only enough space to fit an 850mm wide one. the kit is being stick built and sizes are as they should be apart from not being able to fit this size window where it's shown.

20 hours ago, joe90 said:

who scheduled window sizes?

who scheduled size of window hole in timber frame?

i know it’s blame culture but someone is at fault and I hope they have insurance (unless it’s you ?)

as stated the person who did the drawings, not going to call him an architect.

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Sorry to hear your news, @Simplysimon. I don't think I can see a way round it

we did find a solution, as the window was of no use, i decided to cut it in half and make the opening 600x900, a bit narower than i'd have liked but saves the cost of a new window and wasting the old one

• Like 1

Does it still provide the "clear opening width" to allow someone to escape through it - building regs issue?

There is also a minimum sill height rule to stop people falling out.

13 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

ProDave the drawing shows a 1200x900 window in the gable as does the schedule, however, a 1200 wide window won't fit in the space between a steel column holding the ridge and the roof slope. there is only enough space to fit an 850mm wide one. the kit is being stick built and sizes are as they should be apart from not being able to fit this size window where it's shown.

as stated the person who did the drawings, not going to call him an architect.

So the architect cocked up.  The steel beam that is the cause of the issues can't be shown on the drawing or is shown in the wrong place.

This is way beyond a few mm drawing tolerance.  I would be saying "you designed it to fit that window, you make whatever aerations are required to fit that window, at your expense.

As it is, you have a house built that does not match the drawings by a long way.  Are you happy with that?

• Thanks 1