Flashing down lights

H F

We have six downlights in our bathroom on a dimmer switch. When we turn the dimmer switch down making the room darker they start to flicker. They don’t settle. They just keep flickering. When we make them shine brighter they are better and don’t flicker. 

Any advice.

327618C8-55DC-4EB3-93AE-A8D3DF54741D.jpeg

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Not all LED lights are dimmable. You may just have the wrong lamps in them.

Or you may have the wrong sort of dimmer switch designed for filament lamps.

Thanks Dave - I can verify that all the LED lights we have fitted are dimmable. I've checked that. 

There's a strong possibility that the previous owners used the wrong dimmer - they really were morons. How can I check this?  

2 hours ago, Home Farm said:

How can I check this? 

Cheapest way would be to unscrew it from the wall - there may be some identifying information on the back to enable you to check out the spec.

I use the Danlers LED dimmer switch I find it much better.From  CPC Danlers Rotary & Push LED Dimmer Module, 250W.  I have 6 varilight V pro dimmers but am about to change them.

Hope that helps

mike

3 hours ago, Home Farm said:

When we increase the load, by turning the extractor fan on which is on the same switch, we don’t get any flickering. 

Err, are you saying the extractor fan is controlled by a dimmer switch? That's not a good idea at all

• Like 1

I recently fitted one of these dimmers..

https://www.medlocks.co.uk/zano-zmo150-led-dimmer-switch-digital-150w-module-only-white

Its just a dimmer module, I used my existing face plate and knob.

Zano make a range..

https://zanocontrols.co.uk/

https://www.medlocks.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=zano

PS It won't cope with a fan though.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Home Farm said:

When we increase the load, by turning the extractor fan on which is on the same switch, we don’t get any flickering. 

Some dimmers have a minimum load specified. When incandescent bulbs are replaced with LED the load is reduced and can fall below the minimum specified for the dimmer. Adding the fan takes the load back above the minimum specified but is not an acceptable solution. 

Use a proper LED dimmer for the lights and move the fan to another switch. This might be possible using a modular/Grid faceplate (eg dimmer and switch on one face plate) but depends where the fan is connected to the lighting circuit.

or just replace the dimmer with a switch as others have suggested.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, joth said:

Err, are you saying the extractor fan is controlled by a dimmer switch? That's not a good idea at all

For my own knowledge building, why shouldn’t they be on the same switch?

3 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Shouldn't really be on the same dimmer. Light dimmers aren't rated for driving motors although they may do so.

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

Personally I have never seen the need for a dimmer in a bathroom. I would just put it back to being a normal switch, particularly as we now know the fan is on the dimmer.

I like lying in the bath with the lights dimmed, a beer and some tunes from the ceiling speakers. I used a Quinetic (the grey square) wireless switch literally within arms reach of lying in the bath so I can dim / turn off the down lights and control the pocket / mood lighting.

2019-06-12_06-41-36

I say I like doing this, there's barely enough HW capacity to fill the bath or the kids have used it all having showers! ?

(The led strip is on the pi$$ in the pic above).

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I like lying in the bath with the lights dimmed, a beer and some tunes from the ceiling speakers. I used a Quinetic (the grey square) wireless switch literally within arms reach of lying in the bath so I can dim / turn off the down lights and control the pocket / mood lighting.

2019-06-12_06-41-36

I say I like doing this, there's barely enough HW capacity to fill the bath or the kids have used it all having showers! ?

(The led strip is on the pi$$ in the pic above).

There is at least one item missing from that list.

11 hours ago, Home Farm said:

The motor in the fan is an inductive load and liable to damage a dimmer that is only designed for resistive or LED loads.

In more practical terms, matching dimmers and LEDs is enough of a pain without making life harder adding more variables to the mix. 

• Like 1