How to protect heads from scaffold pipe ends.

In the interest of personal site safety can anyone offer tips on how to protect head-height scaffold bar ends on the first lift staging?

My thought is to buy a few meters of pipe insulation with a suitable internal diameter and wrap the pipe ends then add a cable tie to keep the insulation in place.

Why is the first lift at head height?  Anyone working underneath it would have to stoop?  I work on 2M lifts with Kwikstage.

If you have that hazard then pipe insulation taped around it with some of that yellow / black striped tape.

Kwikstage etc does not have this problemwith sticking out bars.

I am surprised no one has invented plastic ends like those on plant canes to stop you poking your eyes out. How about whacking some off cuts from your floor insulation on them (and wear a hard hat like your supposed to do ?

41 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

In the interest of personal site safety can anyone offer tips on how to protect head-height scaffold bar ends on the first lift staging?

My thought is to buy a few meters of pipe insulation with a suitable internal diameter and wrap the pipe ends then add a cable tie to keep the insulation in place.

That’s exactly what they do with pavement scaffolding 

Yellow foam cable tied 

Being 6”5 I always asked companies to make sure that lift are 2100 apart 

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

That’s exactly what they do with pavement scaffolding 

Yellow foam cable tied 

Being 6”5 I always asked companies to make sure that lift are 2100 apart 

5D0243EF-2E98-45A1-8498-5B1DA3B572E8.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Why is the first lift at head height?  Anyone working underneath it would have to stoop?  I work on 2M lifts with Kwikstage.

The brickies built up to 2m without scaffolding using simple plank trestles a few blocks high. Then the first lift was erected so that the staging was a few courses lower than the built wall hence no need to work under the staging except the path down one side of the house runs under the staging and then we have 3 access points to the internal ground floor.

I have been quoted for 3 lifts:

1. The first is just below ground floor lintel height.
  2. The second will be a few blocks above the first floor level.
  3. The third will be set to provide a convenient step up for the roofers.

I am also paying the brickie team on a scaffolding lift schedule.