Wood burning stove fireplace, how deep is recommended?

9 minutes ago, patp said:

We have trickle vents in our windows. I assume that will be enough?

I believe not.  At our previous house we had to have a vent that came up through the floor behind the stove.  I think the area of the vent needs to be the same as the area of the flue, so that's quite a big hole.

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have never had to do this, with internal doors open and lots of thermal mass (?) to absorb the heat it dissipates nicely around the house and is still warm come the morning.

Possibly because your stove is a smallish model with (guess) a 5Kw output? We initially settled on a 12kw stove for its looks until advised that would be bonkers in a new build.

I also theorise that your trad wet plaster walls can soak up excess heat more quickly than dry lined dot & dab. You seem to have got so much right in your project, was it your first self build?

We have sized the fireplace for an 8kw model with external air supply, the open plan sitting room with stairs to the landing should help distribute excess heat in our case.

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I also theorise that your trad wet plaster walls can soak up excess heat more quickly than dry lined dot & dab.

yup, another reason for solid walls etc

3 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

You seem to have got so much right in your project, was it your first self build?

Ha, yes, thanks fir the compliment, I am very pleased with the result ( big head imoji ).

We have just discovered that our fireplace, although it is external, is very shallow. This means that all those inglenooks I have drooled over will not fit. It also means the woodburner will sit in the room rather than inside the fireplace. The chimney is only a couple of courses of brick high at the moment so we could change it. 

Half of me goes "noooo!" because it holds things up again while the other half of me says that we should have what we want.

29 minutes ago, patp said:

We have just discovered that our fireplace, although it is external, is very shallow. This means that all those inglenooks I have drooled over will not fit. It also means the woodburner will sit in the room rather than inside the fireplace. The chimney is only a couple of courses of brick high at the moment so we could change it. 

Half of me goes "noooo!" because it holds things up again while the other half of me says that we should have what we want.

Get it right now, you will spend a long time looking at it and thinking you wish you had changed it. 

I moved a bathroom from one side of a room to another, so glad I did, looked fine on the plans. 

• Like 1

Fireplaces look big until you realise stoves have to sit 100-250mm from the walls depending on the model. This can cause a few issues and you also need to factor in things such as distance to wooden beams with flue pipes if you use vitreous stove pipe - 450mm for a 150mm pipe is quite a distance. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, patp said:

Whew! Just had a word with our lovely Brickie and he has reassured us that all will be fine and the woodburner should sit inside it comfortably with room to spare.

There is an engineering fit and aesthetic fit, quite different.

Is your brickie allowing for an extra 220mm width reduction should you finish the fireplace lining with old facing bricks?

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

There is an engineering fit and aesthetic fit, quite different.

Is your brickie allowing for an extra 220mm width reduction should you finish the fireplace lining with old facing bricks?

I believe he did because as Chris (husband) was measuring he was telling him to allow more room. Will check it though. He is very experiences. He told us to bear in mind that when sitting far away, and low down, you do not want to be seeing the chimney throat. All things to be bearing in mind.