OK so now we know where to blame...

Graduate Apprenticeship based on Accreditation of Prior Education and Learning  is a genuine route for the non graduate to to achieve higher qualifications.  It's a system which promotes real parity of esteem. 

Lancaster University promotes exactly that approach.   There are already  many non graduates doing Level 7 courses.

I agree it does, I am standing in the refectory coffee queue with 8 of them the problem is that these and yours were by definition capable of, and equipped for, this level of study but many are not and should not be anytheless respected for their skills and capabilities. We have a system geared to the belief that a starred double first in classics from one of a couple of seats of learning is the goal of education and anything less is some kind of failure which it is not. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

If we move away from standard brick and block construction towards panelised houses built in factories it would be easier to remove poor workmanship.

I know about it but 

1) it is not that difficult to connect the panels badly leaving massive gaps 

2) the tapes still need to be applied on site, don't they? 

3) how long before BT/Virgin /electrician /whatever other trade come along and drill a hole? 

It is still going to be better than an old house but will it be enough? 

11 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I believe that one reason for the reluctance to accept this type of build system may be that there is a market preference for houses made from bricks. 

Well, when Sips providers only "guarantee" 60 years and knowing how easy it is for things to go wrong (sole plate rot, trades replacing windows or doors 10 years down the line, mice getting in due to lack of maintenance) it is difficult to blame people for sticking with something they know will not be perfect but at least is not going to come crumbling down or need expensive structural repairs 20 years down the line. 

I watched quite a few American property programs and it was rare that no damage was present in a TF house, although on a positive note it was usually a matter of a few thousand dollars to fix.