Research into the motivations for and barriers to self-build

CharlD

Hello self-builders,

Would you be willing to take part in a study about self-build housing?  I am Charlotte, an aspiring self builder and student at Leeds Beckett University, conducting a research project into the extent of, motivations for and barriers to self-build in the UK. The project aims to identify who is self-building, why people are interested in self-building and if they have encountered any barriers during their project. The aim of the study is to deepen the breadth of research into self-build since the introduction of the Self-build and Custom Housing Act 2015.

I would be grateful if you could spare 10 minutes to fill in the questionnaire accessed through the link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9KLKJW2

Many thanks,

Charlotte

Interesting that you ask how it was financed, but then don't ask if you had difficulty getting finance?

A lot seem to have problems with self build mortgages, and some of us have had difficulty selling the old house to free up finance.

13 hours ago, Temp said:

Survey done.

You might be interested to know that in some other European countries such as Belgium what we call self build accounts for upto 80% of new houses.

Thank you for completing the survey

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

Interesting that you ask how it was financed, but then don't ask if you had difficulty getting finance?

A lot seem to have problems with self build mortgages, and some of us have had difficulty selling the old house to free up finance.

Thank you for completing the survey. I shall consider adding in a question about the difficulties of getting finance. Thank you for the suggestion.

21 hours ago, Mike said:

There are also several missing stages between 'initial interest' and 'part way through build'

Thank you for completing the survey. I shall consider amending the survey . Thank you for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello self-builders,

Would you be willing to take part in a study about self-build housing?  I am Charlotte, an aspiring self builder and student at Leeds Beckett University, conducting a research project into the extent of, motivations for and barriers to self-build in the UK. The project aims to identify who is self-building, why people are interested in self-building and if they have encountered any barriers during their project. The aim of the study is to deepen the breadth of research into self-build since the introduction of the Self-build and Custom Housing Act 2015.

I would be grateful if you could spare 10 minutes to fill in the questionnaire accessed through the link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/9KLKJW2

Many thanks,

Charlotte

• 3 weeks later...

A big thank you to all those who have completed a survey! I am overjoyed at the number of responses I have received- there is such a lovely self-build community out there. It has been really interesting to hear about your views and experiences of self-building.

The survey will be closing in a few days. I would be ever so grateful if anyone, who has not already completed a survey could spare a a few minutes filling it in.

Many thanks!

Edited by CharlD

• 4 weeks later...