spray insulation machine

scottishjohn

I don’t remember that but when researching my build I tried to find a cellulose blowing machine to hire, I even got a friend who was in the tool hire industry to look fir me and even he drew a blank, shame as they are available in the US. I f I remember correctly if you bought enough cellulose they let you borrow the machine FOC.

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

I don’t remember that but when researching my build I tried to find a cellulose blowing machine to hire, I even got a friend who was in the tool hire industry to look fir me and even he drew a blank, shame as they are available in the US. I f I remember correctly if you bought enough cellulose they let you borrow the machine FOC.

Yes, had the same experience with that. Really annoying. Only option in UK is to buy the machine, but thats not really worth it.

How expensive is the machine, I wonder?

The cellulose blowing one that was used to insulate our house didn't look to be that sophisticated.  It was essentially a large drum, that looked very much like an oil drum, with a stirrer arrangement at the base, a bit like that in a food blender, and a pump below that with a ~100mm diameter hose leading from it.  The key bit seemed to be the remote control, so that the person holding the end of the hose could turn the blower on and off.  It needed two or three people to operate, as it had a prodigious appetite for compressed bales of warmcell.

2123702272_Warmcellblower.thumb.jpg.a239a3f5a70316e4c59f73a82bda4ea1.jpg

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Spray cellulose or spray foam like Icynene?

closed cell foam -which will water proof  old wall at same time

its the same machine as used for open cell icyene -just different type of foam 

I,m still plotting 

could be I,ll need to flatten -if so then I,ll be looking for a stone cropper that can work with GRANITE to turn 12" thick bits into -4" bits to clad the new house

and then use it to make granite cobbles etc with stuff i don,t use for all the outside paved areas

Edited by scottishjohn

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2020 at 12:19, Jeremy Harris said:

How expensive is the machine, I wonder?

The cellulose blowing one that was used to insulate our house didn't look to be that sophisticated.  It was essentially a large drum, that looked very much like an oil drum, with a stirrer arrangement at the base, a bit like that in a food blender, and a pump below that with a ~100mm diameter hose leading from it.  The key bit seemed to be the remote control, so that the person holding the end of the hose could turn the blower on and off.  It needed two or three people to operate, as it had a prodigious appetite for compressed bales of warmcell.

2123702272_Warmcellblower.thumb.jpg.a239a3f5a70316e4c59f73a82bda4ea1.jpg

Jeremy, do you think a workshop "chip extractor" would work for blowing it?  They are designed to suck large volumes of wood chips/dust, so cellulose should be fine to put through them.  It is somewhat frustrating how the US shows hiring these machines to be easy/common/cheap, yet here in the UK they are not available!

I already have a wifi/Alexa remote switch on my chip extractor, so the remote control aspect is covered.

29 minutes ago, gilesm said:

Jeremy, do you think a workshop "chip extractor" would work for blowing it?  They are designed to suck large volumes of wood chips/dust, so cellulose should be fine to put through them.  It is somewhat frustrating how the US shows hiring these machines to be easy/common/cheap, yet here in the UK they are not available!

I already have a wifi/Alexa remote switch on my chip extractor, so the remote control aspect is covered.

Not sure, TBH.  The machine has a mechanism in the base that chops up the compressed stuff in the bales (which comes out like a solid brick) and then pumps it at a pressure that I think it probably higher than a workshop extractor.  The pressure is enough to almost blow the hose out of the operators hands when the space they are filling is full, and there's a definite knack to turning the flow off very quickly as the back pressure builds up.