Knife Storage in a Kitchen

I am looking for a new knife block, and have been looking at options.

Of the different types of knife blocks etc. I don't think we have discussed this one before, so I thought a wider thread might be beneficial.

1 - Magnetic "hanging on the wall" ideas.

Image result for knife blocks

I am not keen on these as they seem to me to be vulnerable to accidental knocking, and if that is going to happen I do not want my sharp, heavy knives falling from that height. If they are going to get knocked I want it to be difficult for them to go beyond the worktop.

Also the blade edges are exposed - not good.

2 - Magnetic "stick to the front" knife blocks to sit on the worktop

personalised-wooden-knife-holders-makemesomethingspecial.com_.jpg

I am not a fan of magnetic blocks on worktops either though they are imo not as risky should something happen. And again the blade edge is still exposed.

3 - Slotted sections in drawers

Image result for knife block for a drawer

Potentially an advantage is that the knives are hidden away - but correspondingly inaccessible.

But they are either stored on their cutting edge blunting it a little, or risk having the cutting edge exposed on thicker knives.

4 - Blocks with Plastic Rods

Related image

No comment really on these, except that the ability to wash the rods in a dishwasher is very good - but they seem to take days to dry. And there is no airflow around the blades when stored.

And little bits of plastic get attached to the knives and they need a wipe every time.

5 - Traditional Knife Blocks or Variations

image.jpeg.dbca78538d0d012a87535488c179e822.jpeg

Image result for procook knife block

This is what I have at present, and I like that I can store the knives on their backs safely, or vertically.

I do not like the extra space taken up by the angled block.

I currently need a new one, as I need to store more than a dozen knives plus small ones ie paring, utility and steak knives.

So comments would be most welcome.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I made this one 7 years ago (all of 5 minutes) with the intention of making another one out of oak from whiskey barrel lids but never got round to it. its very safe and you can make them as big as you like ! 

CD5304F6-043F-429F-A499-629CEEDA7D46.jpeg

• Like 2

Having had a wooden knife block for years, we have now moved to slotted in drawer.

I like it as it is neater, but it does take up a reasonable amount of drawer space.

We have it in the same drawer as chopping boards.

Can't say that I have noticed a meaningful effect on sharpness.

The main issue is that if two people are working in the kitchen someone has to get out of the way to get a knife out of the drawer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AliG said:

Having had a wooden knife block for years, we have now moved to slotted in drawer.

I like it as it is neater, but it does take up a reasonable amount of drawer space.

We have it in the same drawer as chopping boards.

Can't say that I have noticed a meaningful effect on sharpness.

The main issue is that if two people are working in the kitchen someone has to get out of the way to get a knife out of the drawer.

We had this drawer problem in the last house and have subsequently got the cutlery draw to the right of the hob and it is alot more practical

• Like 1

It was just the layout of the kitchen, I knew it would be a slight issue. They are not under the hob, I tried to only have stuff under the hob that you would likely use on the hob. It is to the left of the hob, but the issue only arises if two people do food prep at the same time. I think you will nearly always run into this issue somewhere if two people work in the kitchen at the same time tbh.

I did manage to get the bin cupboard to a position where it was not in a well used space as this was an issue in our old house.

I have now figured out a way to fix the issue, so can sort it in 10-15 years when we get a new kitchen.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I am looking for a new knife block, and have been looking at options.

So comments would be most welcom

1 hour ago, AliG said:

It was just the layout of the kitchen, I knew it would be a slight issue. They are not under the hob, I tried to only have stuff under the hob that you would likely use on the hob. It is to the left of the hob, but the issue only arises if two people do food prep at the same time. I think you will nearly always run into this issue somewhere if two people work in the kitchen at the same time tbh.

I did manage to get the bin cupboard to a position where it was not in a well used space as this was an issue in our old house.

I have now figured out a way to fix the issue, so can sort it in 10-15 years when we get a new kitchen.

• Like 1

I use a slotted drawer block, just a few quid from IKEA. I have used worktop blocks, belts etc, drawer slot block is the best compromise between safety, accessibility and keeping knives in good condition.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Update to this.

I have just purchased a big knife block from Procook on clearance.

Currently available at £40 for the big one that takes 10 knives (up to 25cm blade in longest 26m slot). Or £25 for the small 6 knife one.

Here:

https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/special-offers/clearance

Also, at Procook if you spend £60 you get a free large chef's knife or vegetable (chef's knife minus point) or santoku (with side scoops) knife from their X50 range, which are the one's I use and like. There are also offers for the  above blocks with either 10 or 6 knives for about £230 or £130. Note that the current free knives have beech handles.

procook-large-oval-knife-block.thumb.jpg.8055a7c33b836c63fad9932d487b7612.jpg