Timber garage build

rpuddle

Hi all, 

I'm about to embark on a timber garage build (3m x 5.5m) on a concrete base that has just been laid on our drive, which is 3.2m x 5.7m. The concrete base isn't perfect (long story on this one but there is some pooling of water on one side of it when it rains) and so I've been told to lay a layer of engineering bricks and a DPC on top and then build the garage on top of this. 

I'm a complete newbie and was hoping for some advice on this. What type of brick? is this a DIY job or do I get a brickie in? Any more tips to stop moisture reaching the bearers of the garage?

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated! 

This really depends on what the garage is for

are you limited by these sizes

what is the external finish, I wouldn’t want any cladding, or timberframe coming down to the ground because of splash back. 

If the slab is thick you could build out to the edge to provide clearance from the ground, if not you could use a course of blocks or 2 courses of engineering bricks. 

How are you building the frame. 

I will be building a timber garage direct off a slab when the house is finished 

but it will be thicker at the edges to get it up off the ground and have a damp proof course under it

so a few questions to answer to get a better finished product. 

11 hours ago, rpuddle said:

Hi all, 

I'm about to embark on a timber garage build (3m x 5.5m) on a concrete base that has just been laid on our drive, which is 3.2m x 5.7m. The concrete base isn't perfect (long story on this one but there is some pooling of water on one side of it when it rains) and so I've been told to lay a layer of engineering bricks and a DPC on top and then build the garage on top of this. 

I'm a complete newbie and was hoping for some advice on this. What type of brick? is this a DIY job or do I get a brickie in? Any more tips to stop moisture reaching the bearers of the garage?

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated! 

I considered a timber garage but decided against it for all sorts of reasons, when I was still on the timber build track I researched and confirmed, from fairly early on, that it would be built on a dwarf-wall of either concrete or block up to the height of about 600mm minimum. I had many many reasons, when I design and build something I want it to last, I want to know it will survive for many years. I even considered that in the future some muppet might bank up earth against a wall not realising the implications of building ground levels up around buildings, or the fact we get so much rain, or the fact that timber structures arguably need more care through their life to maintain structural integrity.

I just didn't think timber was going to be ideal, I also do some welding in my garage and decided a timber garage and me welding and angle grinding away was going to be a bit dangerous. I then decided that given I was going to build up 600mm anyway I might as well go the other 1800mm! The block garage was also going to be far cheaper and less time consuming. 

Can you lay brick? If you have never laid brick then it can go two ways, majority of people who try DIY brick/block work make a complete mess of it and there isn't a straight bit in sight or you will have an aptitude for it and make a great job. I ask a friendly bricky for a job price. I gave my bricky the size of the garage, showed him where the main door and side door would go, how many lintels and he worked out how many blocks it would be and how much he would charge me.

What are the dimensions, makeup and concrete mix of your slab? Was it designed to have a brick/block structure on it?

We have a timber framed carport and combined shed that is built upon a concrete slab with a twin dwarf wall. The bricks are a range of heritage bricks from a builders merchant so nothing specific as to needing to be an engineering brick etc. We dont have a damp proof course between the supporting bricks and the oak posts as they are protected by the external larch cladding. I'm sure a competent bricklayer / builder / DIYer could lay the bricks. See images below.

Although everyone has their own reasons for doing something or not as the case may be for @Carrerahill, I'm very pleased with our timber frame construction. It is oak framed with larch panels, so I don't intend it to be going anywhere anytime soon! That said, I won't be doing any welding in it either. ?

DSC00540.JPG

DSC00618.JPG

DSC00795.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redoctober said:

We have a timber framed carport and combined shed that is built upon a concrete slab with a twin dwarf wall. The bricks are a range of heritage bricks from a builders merchant so nothing specific as to needing to be an engineering brick etc. We dont have a damp proof course between the supporting bricks and the oak posts as they are protected by the external larch cladding. I'm sure a competent bricklayer / builder / DIYer could lay the bricks. See images below.

Although everyone has their own reasons for doing something or not as the case may be for @Carrerahill, I'm very pleased with our timber frame construction. It is oak framed with larch panels, so I don't intend it to be going anywhere anytime soon! That said, I won't be doing any welding in it either. ?

DSC00540.JPG

DSC00618.JPG

DSC00795.JPG

I'd have that though (not for welding though), OK so not 600mm off the deck but it's been isolated significantly from the ground and lifted up a bit and that is real timber!

5 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

This really depends on what the garage is for

are you limited by these sizes

what is the external finish, I wouldn’t want any cladding, or timberframe coming down to the ground because of splash back. 

If the slab is thick you could build out to the edge to provide clearance from the ground, if not you could use a course of blocks or 2 courses of engineering bricks. 

How are you building the frame. 

I will be building a timber garage direct off a slab when the house is finished 

but it will be thicker at the edges to get it up off the ground and have a damp proof course under it

so a few questions to answer to get a better finished product. 

Thanks for all the responses :) 

Slab is around 150mm thick. Frame will be a self build job but from a flatpacked garage (Dunster House). Not the greatest quality I imagine, only the bearers are pressure treated, but budget etc has meant I couldn't spend out on an oak frame. Didn't like the look of the prefab concrete builds and there won't be any flame risk inside. I've never done any brick laying but I consider myself a reasonable DIYer. I also accept that this build will not last through the ages, but I will treat the timber well and look after the building and I'd hope it's still standing when we move out in 5-7 years! 

So I've just spoken to the garage sellers and they have assured me that the pressure treated wooden bearers they supply will not rot and are guaranteed for 10 years, and that bricks are not needed below the bearers - it can be placed directly on concrete. This, I can't really believe but has now confused me even further!

39 minutes ago, rpuddle said:

So I've just spoken to the garage sellers and they have assured me that the pressure treated wooden bearers they supply will not rot and are guaranteed for 10 years, and that bricks are not needed below the bearers - it can be placed directly on concrete. This, I can't really believe but has now confused me even further!

I'd put a strip of DPM under the sole plate all around, just to help keep that dry.  As long as water can't get to it then it will likely last for a long time (~10 to 20 years plus).  Untreated timber can be pretty durable if kept dry.

Well I've just bought a cheap 8x4 shed to lay concrete. I did think about a brick frame to lift it off the ground but decided on laying a thick plastic sheet over then putting the floor down and then folded the overhang of the sheet back over the floor - I put extra supports in including some cheap lost boarding over the floor and around the wall. I covered the roof board in more plastic before applying the felt and also used a few rolls of flashing on the root and around the door. Finally all holes were filled both inside and out.  If any of that helps, if you want to lay bricks do it, if you place a line of bring on the floor straight you can also do with mortar so no big secret to that.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

TBH i think what you have bought is just a large shed. 

I don’t think many things will improve the situation, so if you intend moving in a few years I would chuck it on and get on with life.  

Is a garage not just a large shed? ? I didnt have budget for a palace so I've got what I've got. It doesn't stop me wanting to make it as good as possible, however. Thanks everyone else for responses, they're appreciated!

I bet it will look great. Post some pics when it is up. I will prob get some comments from some other members for my next comment, but it's a bit like houses. Most of the houses that get built are $hite. We should be building houses, that are as efficient as they can be. Should have a large proportion of the materials used to be easily re-cycled at end of life, and after 60 years we should be pulling them down. My headstrong daughter is about to buy an estate house built in the early 90's. Anybody on here going to tell me that it will be a great house ???? In my opinion built in 1990......Should be pulled down now.

9 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

I bet it will look great. Post some pics when it is up. I will prob get some comments from some other members for my next comment, but it's a bit like houses. Most of the houses that get built are $hite. We should be building houses, that are as efficient as they can be. Should have a large proportion of the materials used to be easily re-cycled at end of life, and after 60 years we should be pulling them down. My headstrong daughter is about to buy an estate house built in the early 90's. Anybody on here going to tell me that it will be a great house ???? In my opinion built in 1990......Should be pulled down now.

I would pull down probably half of the grade two listed buildings 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rpuddle said:

Is a garage not just a large shed? ? I didnt have budget for a palace so I've got what I've got. It doesn't stop me wanting to make it as good as possible, however. Thanks everyone else for responses, they're appreciated!

If you lift it up on a plinth, will the doors not have a gap underneath them. 

• 2 weeks later...