Yet another couple of dumb plumbing questions

dnb

With any luck I will soon have a RC ground beam (by a contractor) so can get on with installing the beam and block floor (my job, with a couple of competent friends). This means I need to finalise the designs of the soil pipes under the beam and block. My architect has done a pretty good job of getting my sketches and desires to comply with building control on paper, but I now need to make this a reality.

1. When the 110mm soil pipe goes through the blocks that will support the B&B floor, is it OK to leave a 200ish mm gap in the blocks (they are only 225mm high)  and cover with a steel lintel to support the B&B - I believe the drains all fall to not require the lintel supporting a beam. I am not sure what filler material is acceptable. I would assume expanding foam is not.

2. What is the best way to support the pipes that will sit under the B&B floor to ensure a proper gradient? One pipe is quite long (just under 3m) so I'm keen to get it right. The surface under the B&B floor will be gravel over a membrane assuming the BCO doesn't change his mind. I thought about building this grave up surrounding the pipes to support them.

3. I know the fresh water needs insulating. Does anything need to be done with the soil pipes? Document H doesn't mention it so I assume not.

Concrete lintel over the pipes no need for steel

pipes will need to be fully supported on a weak dry mix of concrete

do not support on blobs as the pipe will sag over time. 

Try to not end up with a beam directly on the mid span of a lintel if you can, unless it has enough block work on top to provide a good bearing. 

Thanks both. That clears things up a lot. I know it's all fairly simple and easy to over think things but the last thing I need right now are more delays.

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Concrete lintel over the pipes no need for steel

I guess you're suggesting I go with 2.24a in document H where you have flexible connections within 150mm of the wall so I don't need to leave a gap to fill. Otherwise having 210mm of clear space in a wall that is 225 high doesn't give much room for concrete!

9 hours ago, dnb said:

Thanks both. That clears things up a lot. I know it's all fairly simple and easy to over think things but the last thing I need right now are more delays.

I guess you're suggesting I go with 2.24a in document H where you have flexible connections within 150mm of the wall so I don't need to leave a gap to fill. Otherwise having 210mm of clear space in a wall that is 225 high doesn't give much room for concrete!

I haven’t I couldn’t see the point there is no way your ring beam is going to move up or down, I will fix stainless mesh over the hole around the pipes, but Im happy to be told this is wrong

I had my BCO round today to look at the ring beam progress. We had a few minutes spare so discussed a few of the up coming things on my build. (He's really helpful and very knowledgable about low energy houses and efficiency, so we have a shared interest).

The upshot is that he would prefer me to hang the soil pipes from the floor beams due to the site ground conditions. So who sells such things? The internet doesn't seem to yeild much of any use probably because I'm calling them by the wrong name.

4 hours ago, dnb said:

I had my BCO round today to look at the ring beam progress. We had a few minutes spare so discussed a few of the up coming things on my build. (He's really helpful and very knowledgable about low energy houses and efficiency, so we have a shared interest).

The upshot is that he would prefer me to hang the soil pipes from the floor beams due to the site ground conditions. So who sells such things? The internet doesn't seem to yeild much of any use probably because I'm calling them by the wrong name.

Have a look at @pocster thread about internal soil pipe, I put a link up to the hangers.