Shower enclosure panels

Pocster

So, I've been looking at shower enclosures - can find what I want but at a price!

Spent 2 hours online choosing the tray!!!

Is there anything 'wrong' with just buying the glass panels separately and making my own enclosure?

Tray will be 1200 x 900

So looking for ( I presume ) a 700mm glass, 300mm hinged flipper , then a 900mm pane for the 'rear'  ( so a 500mm entrance into the enclosure )

Is this a better way of doing things? or should I keep to an 'enclosure' that meets my requirements? ( is an enclosure just as I've listed anyway??)

cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

Tray will be 1200 x 900

So looking for ( I presume ) a 700mm glass, 300mm hinged flipper , then a 900mm pane for the 'rear'  ( so a 500mm entrance into the enclosure )

Just for info..

I found an online quote place..

https://madetomeasureglassuk.com/toughened-glass/toughened-clear-glass

and entered 6mm toughened glass

1800 x 700

1800 x 900

1800 x 300

Came to £237 + VAT just for regular glass with no fittings or mounting holes. The fittings can be quite expensive. Might not be much saving over a complete shower kit?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just for info..

I found an online quote place..

https://madetomeasureglassuk.com/toughened-glass/toughened-clear-glass

and entered 6mm toughened glass

1800 x 700

1800 x 900

1800 x 300

Came to £237 + VAT just for regular glass with no fittings or mounting holes. The fittings can be quite expensive. Might not be much saving over a complete shower kit?

Should the defector panel be fixed or hinged ????

More googling found this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEGANT-Frameless-Shower-Enclosure-Support/dp/B07Y4DBH6X/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Shower+Enclosure+Cubicle+1200x900+-sliding&qid=1582922615&s=diy&sr=1-9

They appear to have..

a) 700 wide pane plus a 300 wide return with fittings in 8mm glass for £108

b) 900 wide pane with fittings for £94

Total £202 inc free delivery.

Do you own checks as I'm unwinding with a beer after long drive.

PS With such a large tray it seems odd to me to restrict the showering area to 700 x 900. I think I would go for a hinged door so the whole tray is available.

PS With such a large tray it seems odd to me to restrict the showering area to 700 x 900. I think I would go for a hinged door so the whole tray is available.

Actually if the return is hinged you could open it once inside so it doesn't get in the way.

Actually if the return is hinged you could open it once inside so it doesn't get in the way.

Yeah , this is what I can’t work out . If hinged better because you can move it to deflect water or fixed and it ‘ just is ‘ . I haven’t tested either of these configurations ...

I have a couple of 1200 x 800 trays with 1200 glass panel and a 300 “flipper panel”. The flipper panel stops water tracking off the end of the1200 screen, with the tray being 1200 very little water gets out of the shower but enough room to step out of the water spray without leaving the enclosure . I think this works very well ( I don’t like wet rooms)

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Has that skirting firred up yet next to shower @joe90?

I found the mitres in my old place firring after being mopped near even though glued well. I used timber skirts in this place but even with knitting some have come through. Everything is crap now. How much better is MR mdf in real life?

10 hours ago, pocster said:

Exactly that ! ; but buying off eBay ....

I think that should be OK if you check up on the seller. Feedback, their ebay shop, their website (which will let you trace their history) etc.

And buy with a Credit Card.

I have done about 5 that way.

Then flipper panels are fine if that is what you want. I normally avoid as it is a moving part which I avoid as far as possible - but I have had one in a rental since 2011 or so and it is not dead yet.

For that wet room feel, have a short panel and no flipper then you will have real water everywhere ??? .

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Has that skirting firred up yet next to shower @joe90?

I found the mitres in my old place firring after being mopped near even though glued well. I used timber skirts in this place but even with knitting some have come through. Everything is crap now. How much better is MR mdf in real life?

It’s MDF, been down two years and no problems, plenty of paint and siliconed to stop water getting under it. I confess I don’t mop the floor, vacuum and occasional damp cloth. Unless your having a party in the shower ( ? ) very little water gets on the floor, plus I have a mat to stand on whilst drying which soaks any small amount of water and dries with the MVHR on auto boost ?.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think that should be OK if you check up on the seller. Feedback, their ebay shop, their website (which will let you trace their history) etc.

And buy with a Credit Card.

I have done about 5 that way.

Then flipper panels are fine if that is what you want. I normally avoid as it is a moving part which I avoid as far as possible - but I have had one in a rental since 2011 or so and it is not dead yet.

For that wet room feel, have a short panel and no flipper then you will have real water everywhere ??? .

F

Tempted to have a reduced width flipper to 200mm but fixed ...

25 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It’s MDF, been down two years and no problems, plenty of paint and siliconed to stop water getting under it. I confess I don’t mop the floor, vacuum and occasional damp cloth. Unless your having a party in the shower ( ? ) very little water gets on the floor, plus I have a mat to stand on whilst drying which soaks any small amount of water and dries with the MVHR on auto boost ?.

I was planning side entrance rather than at the rear - my assumption was this restricts water escaping even more . 

36 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

The flipper shown in @joe90 photo allows easy entry at the end, but that isn't possible in your situation, you're losing part of your showering area.

Hmmmmm I could change to @joe90 setup . My entrance wouldn’t be at the wall though ( imagine reversing his entrance way ) - does that matter ??  

Edited by pocster