Cavity Wall Insulation - EPS Beads

Homer92

We have a conventional build, 100mm block 150mm cavity and 100mm block. Insulation to be pumped with EPS beads, and I have a lot of questions :)

I'm a novice when it comes to insulation, is there different types/mixes to specify?

If I have to drill a hole in blockwork in the future will the beads come gushing out?

How do I ensure the contractor hasn't left any voids and cold spots?

Any recommended companies from NI?

Best to use bonded EPS beads, these are blown in with a light coating of PVA adhesive, so once they are in the cavity they all bond together and form a solid, but water permeable, block of EPS.   This means there is no risk of loose beads settling or flowing out of any hole (although there shouldn't be any holes, as there needs to be a vapour control layer on the inside of the house with no holes in it).

You have energy store in Lisburn, homeseal ni in magherafelt, alpha insulation and pcdynes insulation both in Dungannon. There are a few more as well. Get them all out to price it up and that will give you a chance to talk to them and compare what they are offering.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

as there needs to be a vapour control layer on the inside of the house with no holes in it).

not necessarily in a block/cavity/block construction, but I agree it will not flow out of holes.

1 hour ago, Homer92 said:

How do I ensure the contractor hasn't left any voids and cold spots?

At best make sure you get a contractor who can provide a CIGA guarantee (Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency). If trouble after the event voids can be identified by thermal imaging.

1 hour ago, Homer92 said:

Any recommended companies from NI?

Try the NI branch of the Energy Saving Trust for CIGA companies, you might even get a grant - 0800 142 2865