Divergence: what does Bosch know that we don't?

5 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I can almost smell the British sovereignty in that picture :)

By amazing co-incidence, 'British Sovereignty' was a premium fragrance due to be released under the Sussex Royal brand later this year.

• Haha 1

Woodworking tools have always been available in Imperial sizes, much like timber, some of which seems to have stayed Imperial in real terms, but just changed the labels to make it seem as if it's made to metric dimensions.  I've just had a look at my set of Stanley chisels, bought around 20 years ago, and all are marked with Imperial widths.  Even a Chinese-made "12mm" chisel I have here is really 12.7mm when measured, so is really a half inch wide, masquerading as a metric one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

The sad thing is, in this current timeline i really can't tell if that is satire or not!

Despite recent setbacks, word is it may still be released but instead as 'British Sovereign-y' under the Sussex Roil brand.

• Haha 1

I just love it.

The Germans having to think a bit, and work out how to put items on their database which dont conform to metric measurement. I can just picture what it's like in a German office when someone asks    "What size is that bit?"  "Really?"

The looks, the head shakes. Does my soul good just picturing it.....

7 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I just love it.

The Germans having to think a bit, and work out how to put items on their database which dont conform to metric measurement. I can just picture what it's like in a German office when someone asks    "What size is that bit?"  "Really?"

The looks, the head shakes. Does my soul good just picturing it.....

I've often wondered how they deal with plumbing, as pretty much the whole of Europe uses Imperial BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads on fittings.

On 28/02/2020 at 09:31, Moonshine said:

I can almost smell the British sovereignty in that picture :)

Unfortunately, it's more a case of US market dominance, and their seemly abhorrence of all things metric. So long as this is a quality set and they fit into your router, then I don't see any major issues. 

We had our metric router and bit set pinched along with load of other tools in a shed break-in during our construction, so I ended up using an old imperial router and bit set borrowed from a friend who got it as a pass-me down from her dad.  It did the job fine, though the main use was for fitting all of the internal door hinges and locks. 

On 29/02/2020 at 07:53, PeterW said:

Did you get that on eBay or online as it’s the American set... 

Online, via Amazon.  If I'd have known that wasn't a kosher German set, I'd never have ordered them.

See! Even the Germans can't get the staff these days!