OOPS!! wrong solvent or not?

Pete

I have two orange waste pipes sticking out of the slab for the en-suite bathrooms. I have to put a solvent 110mm boss connector https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp583g-short-boss-pipe-grey-110mm/17138?tc=HB7&ds_kid=92700048793290397&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt-WllOfz5wIVmK3tCh2 onto each pipe and was supposed to use gap filling cement but as per the thread title used normal solvent on one pipe (not concentrating)  and gap filling cement on another. So my question is will it matter as both pipes seem to have adhered but I cannot test the joint as the drains are not finished, have no access to outside at the moment as I could fill the pipe up with water. I still have access to inside the pipe so could perhaps do something to the inside if it is deemed that the wrong solvent has been used. This joint will be inside a tiled wall when finished so need to get this right, may be stop daydreaming when doing important jobs!!TIA

Its only the wrong solvent if you had a "gap". i.e. the pipe and connector were fairly loose which I would have thought was unlikely if its a standard 110mm pipe and connector. 

In which case you're all good assuming you cleaned and abraded both before applying liberal amounts of solvent weld. 

4 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Its only the wrong solvent if you had a "gap". i.e. the pipe and connector were fairly loose which I would have thought was unlikely if its a standard 110mm pipe and connector. 

In which case you're all good assuming you cleaned and abraded both before applying liberal amounts of solvent weld. 

I seem to remember being told to use this gap filling cement when going from the orange U/G pipe to black solvent pipe so I bought some! I always use the solvent cleaner to strip the release coating on the pipe that is used in the manufacturing process so I know I get a good joint. Like I say it seems to have worked ok but just one more thing to worry about as a self-builder! 

For drainage I just use wet and dry solvent. Can be used on PVC PVC-U and ABS. Can also get it in blue so you can see which joints are glued but wouldn’t use blue where on show. 

For PVC/PVC-U or ABS pressure pipe new Installations I always use the correct solvent/cement as we factor in the cure time on a quote but in a pinch to get a customer up and running on a call out we quite regularly use PVC wet and dry solvent on ABS pipe work as the cure time is quicker. 
Never use ABS cement on PVC pipe though. 

I think I’m right in saying the gap filling properties of these products is just dissolved pieces of the stated product. 

Did you test the fitting dry?

If the pipe had a good interference fit then I’d say it’ll be ok with just the regular solvent. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have never used gap filling solvent as I have never tried joining two fittings that have a "gap"  Perhaps someone else will explain why that is necessary?

I've found different makes of "110mm" pipe have different tolerances. Hell, even the same brands seen to vary as this video shows. I made the mistake of running the brown pipe internally when I shoud have used grey:

I ended up stuffing the brown pipe into the best fitting grey, using gap filling pvc cement from a tube rather than a brush on can and backed it all up with a smear of CT1

2017-07-17_10-50-33

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've found different makes of "110mm" pipe have different tolerances. Hell, even the same brands seen to vary as this video shows. I made the mistake of running the brown pipe internally when I shoud have used grey:

I ended up stuffing the brown pipe into the best fitting grey, using gap filling pvc cement from a tube rather than a brush on can and backed it all up with a smear of CT1

2017-07-17_10-50-33

The Bathroom thread, miss it so much!!

• Haha 1