Most expensive trade, you’ve had.

I have all my windows on site that I have fitted myself 

but I didn’t fancy trying to fit the lift n slide door so I have had the window company fit this along with a large triangle shaped window above. 

3 lads on site with a van and power tools 

arrive on site at 8am finished at 2pm. 

I supplied 2 additional men for lifting 

i supplied all scaffolding 

i supplied a powered hoist to lift up the high level window 

What did that cost then. 

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

My guess £3,500

could well be right --but if you asking me to work out  what  I would think was  fair 

3 men @£300 a day each --insurance for if they break things £300 van mileage etc £70 

TOTAL £1270 + abit ==£1500+vat=£1800

you know you should have ASKED for a quote for anything that is quantifiable

Anyone been to Manchester City centre lately 

Have a look round Everywhere you look there are cranes Must be several thousand building workers 

These places dictate rates 

We are spending 4 hours per day driving 33 miles into Manchester each day 
We are working on a ten story office block Next door to a building we fitted out ten years ago 

That is now being gutted 

All this work drive up the prices for smaller jobs 

You can bet if the lads are being 

paid £225 a day the firm will be getting treble that 

Well if I had of costed it out as to what I thought it would be I was guessing £1500 

so there’s obviously a bit of markup on it 

I did have a quote so I knew exactly what it would be, I just thought £2400 for a days work was a bit steep, I only did it for the warranty on the door, that’s why I fitted the windows myself dread to think what it would have been for another 17 windows. 

There is a guy round here who will take a tree down for £0.  His payment is he gets all the wood.  I might be trying him later this year if I find I still have a shading problem with the PV as the one I suspect will be a problem still can't just be dropped as it would land on the panels, so would need some aerial work.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There is a guy round here who will take a tree down for £0.  His payment is he gets all the wood.  I might be trying him later this year if I find I still have a shading problem with the PV as the one I suspect will be a problem still can't just be dropped as it would land on the panels, so would need some aerial work.

anyone local with a digger and a tree shear attachment.?

I paid £1000 for one guy who spent 2 half days here. I had known that it was that much but had no idea how long it would take. He worked like a maniac and wasn't particularly careful. I heard a crash in the lobby and when he had left he had clearly dropped something on the tiles, chipped one of them and then covered it up with silicone without owning up to it. Not impressed! 

I also have my expensive additional heating controls that weren't needed (and got ripped out). Or as @Nickfromwales put it "The second bill confirms he should have got back in his van and left the better man. Nearly £700 for him to chop some unnecessary equipment in and make it worse imho. He may have looked like a knight in shining armour at the time but 'cock' still seems fit from where im sitting."

That said we have contractors at work that are charged at circa £1500 a day.

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

That said we have contractors at work that are charged at circa £1500 a day.

If they are sole traders that is a nice little earner. When I was at a Council we had to pay £900 a day for Network Engineers in 2006 or so, but that was via a networking company.

Who are the pricey ones - Ultra Techies or Change Managers, Interims and similar?

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

If they are sole traders that is a nice little earner. When I was at a Council we had to pay £900 a day for Network Engineers in 2006 or so, but that was via a networking company.

Who are the pricey ones - Ultra Techies or Change Managers, Interims and similar?

The highest paid sole traders tend to come in at under 1200. The 1500 tends to be to a company. Those are 'consultants' mostly - a mix of change management and tech. That said the vast majority of tech are between 400 and 600 and the majority of change managers 500 - 700. It's all changed with IR35 however and they are now either employed via an umbrella company or we parted company today in fact. 

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2020 at 07:52, Russell griffiths said:

I have all my windows on site that I have fitted myself

I scan read the first post and thought they had fitted windows throughout.  My estimate was based on them fitting them all and I assumed they fitted about 55m2 of windows at about £60 per metre.  Agreed that £2,500 for a door and a window is excessive.  How much was that per m2?

Most expensive trade?   Kitchen fitter.  He snapped a 3m length of worktop, holed a water pipe, damaged a cupboard door and an island end panel, and cut into the control panel of a brand new Bosch dishwasher with a multi-tool.  Thankfully, it was expensive for him not me!?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Back in the good old days i made 8k in One day. I supplied and fitted 3 marble fireplaces in One day. To be fair, i charged 12k, supply and fit, and the nearest quote to me was 14k. The other good one was 1 hours work, in the house of an Arsenal football player. I think i charged him £1200.

34 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

The other good one was 1 hours work, in the house of an Arsenal football player. I think i charged him £1200.

At circa 100k a week I doubt that he was too worried ?