Today's dumb plumbing question - Chrome Waste.

ProDave

Shortly fitting the en-suite. It will have a counter top Basin.  Underneath will be open shelving, so I will use a chrome waste and trap.  This trap in all probability https://www.toolstation.com/bottle-trap-in-chrome-plated-brass/p85046

Here is a pretty picture of the trap

85046.jpg

The chrome pipe will pass through the back wall into a service void where it will join to solvent weld waste pipe to the drain stack.

HOW do I join the chrome pipe to the solvent weld pipe? Preferably with an elbow fitting  Is is as simple as an elbow compression fitting?

Question 2:

I will be using this waste https://www.toolstation.com/click-clac-1-14-chrome-plated-brass-basin-plug/p88739

88739.jpg

I assume that trap will screw onto that waste?

The description of the waste fitting confuses me by pointing me to a fitting you will need to connect it to waste pipe, but you would not normally connect a waste fitting directly to waste pipe without a trap so what is that all about?

Q2, yes, the trap screws in to the waste. The trap will be telescopic so you can get the fall right then tighten the compression ring on the bottle. Don't lube as trap will just fall down over time.

Btw, you need to make sure the overflow slot on the waste lines up with the slot in your sink. Took me three attempts to get one deep enough to match the slot in my sink. I would have thought it would be standard dimension but obviously not.

This is how ours ended up. Chrome pipe in to compression coupler, can't remember the rest!

Screenshot_20200227-164905.png

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

Well today, the tap, trap and waste all arrived.

Slightly disappointed.  the "extension pipe" is not really long enough.  Just 200mm  This means with a 400mm diameter round basin, the pipe won't reach all the way through the plasterboard into the service void.  So instead the plastic compression fitting is going to have to poke through the wall.  Not the look I was hoping for.

I might even consider changing the trap if I can be sure a different one has a longer pipe. something they don't seem to tell you much about.

Does nobody think these things through?

• Like 1