External Shiplap Timber Cladding

Tony K

Hi all,

We are considering external timber cladding, shiplap style. It will be painted black, like this:

E10.jpg

I would like class 1 or 2 (Very Durable or Durable), but that mostly means things like good quality Oak.

My reservation about using something like Oak is that the cost seems to reflect the way the wood will age well and go silver over time, which of course is irrelevant to me if I'm painting it black anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for less expensive durable shiplap I can paint?

Building regulations regarding fire risks are not relevant by the way as the walls in question will not face boundaries.

Thanks

• Like 1

The most obvious alternative would be imported Western Red Cedar. (I don’t think the UK grown WRC is as durable as the Canadian timber)
Also, if you are painting it then one of the modified softwoods such as Accoya or Thermowood.

I used Scottish larch on my cabin as I always intended to paint it, it’s been up over 4 years and no rot whatsoever. I am in a VERY exposed location and  Consistent 60-70 mph winds are expected most winters..... combine that with hailstones and your exposed timber gets a shot blasting every few years ! I repaint every year on the front face and every 2 everywhere else, it’s not a drama as it’s a small cabin. I got my larch from a Scottish not for profit organisation and was very impressed by the quality. I re treat with Cuprinol ducks back as I can buy it cheep on line when it’s on sale. 

837BCEB9-7083-4DCF-9FFA-CE7C1A676CC3.jpeg

We initially thought about blackened cladding (burnt), but the planners were against it, probably a result as it is ££££. When we were looking at alternatives Vastern sent some brimstone ash, new it looks beautiful, but it isn’t the same as black painted & there has been a post somewhere about uneven aging of modified wood. In the end we went for WRC & will let it silver, but it might be worth getting a sample sent. 
If it is to be painted as you like the look of paint I would go for larch. We painted our shed black a couple of years ago using Osmo country colours & it has survived some pretty extreme conditions (w. Cornwall) without fading or peeling so far. 

Edited by Nick1c