Grouting OCD ?

Pocster

I’ve done grouting before but this keeps me awake ?

Suppose in a wet area like a shower you have white grout on most the tiles but a vertical row of Grey tiles that really require Grey grout between them . If I grout white on the others ; let it go off ; then grout grey I will have admittedly a hair line crack surely from white grout to grey grout . My assumption being I need a continuous grout line to be water proof ( or it’s my ocd ) 

Secondly on the floor tiles . I have expansion trims . Meant to go in door ways . But if a grout line doesn’t end naturally in that place I’m not going to split a tile just to introduce an expansion grout line ( it would look terrible ) . Do they have to be in the doorway ? or can they just be introduced where the nearest next grout line would naturally appear ???

Must stop thinking about tiling !!! ??

I would use one colour - probably some sort of lightish grey that you can get more of later.

My bathroom man said that they normally use Jasmine. Better than white imo.

If you use something really light you apparently need to use a Tile Grout Protector.

Houzz says you need to get a "Grout Swatch" to help you work it out.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-grout-color-should-you-choose-for-your-tile-stsetivw-vs~89929909

(But if you were OCD *before* you read that article...)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I would use one colour - probably some sort of lightish grey that you can get more of later.

My bathroom man said that they normally use Jasmine. Better than white imo.

If you use something really light you apparently need to use a Tile Grout Protector.

Houzz says you need to get a "Grout Swatch" to help you work it out.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/what-grout-color-should-you-choose-for-your-tile-stsetivw-vs~89929909

(But if you were OCD *before* you read that article...)

I did find a YouTube video where you just stick cardboard between the 2 colours - grout one ; then do the other .

But is there a microscopic gap between grout colours ???? 

Yes it's your OCD. I would just grout the lower one first, break the grout at an angle (say 30degrees) then do the upper colour, any water will have to go uphill to get in the different layers.

Or grout it all in the light colour, but leave very low on the darker area, then put a layer of dark over it where needed.

Perhaps do a trial panel with scraps first......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JFDIY said:

Yes it's your OCD. I would just grout the lower one first, break the grout at an angle (say 30degrees) then do the upper colour, any water will have to go uphill to get in the different layers.

Or grout it all in the light colour, but leave very low on the darker area, then put a layer of dark over it where needed.

Perhaps do a trial panel with scraps first......

True . Just the thought of a non continuous grout line I.e potential leak ...