2 phase?

Taff

We’ve just had Powergrid install the supply. Contractor said he was installing 3 phase, I was under the impression that only 2 phase was available in our village. When we ordered it was to be 2 phase. Attached photo if anyone technical understands it, I ain’t got a clue!

80A279E3-8224-47F8-A170-AE77C0BA2714.jpeg

RYY suggests Red, Yellow, Yellow

If it were 3 phase, old colours, it would be Red, Yellow, Blue or new colours Brown, Black Grey

Did you want 3 phase?  I have never heard of 2 phases being installed, unless you have a very high load I can't see the point.

8 minutes ago, Taff said:

We were told only 2 phase available, we’ve requested as we have two ev’s and didn’t want to overload as we also will be installing ashp 

Yes but "2 phase" is no use to man nor beast, you won't find any 3 phase machines. So what you have ordered is two single phase supplies.

I will be interested to see how they meter this.

23 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I will be interested to see how they meter this.

Yes I have two single phase supplies and they have separate meters..... it’s a bit painful paying the standing charge twice...... and in reality I need another supply ! 

Just now, Taff said:

Oh I wasn’t told I would need two meter ? Does that mean you have two electricity bills

I can't see why you couldn't have a standard single 3 phase meter.  That should measure the total energy from two phases OK.  No need for two meters, two standing charges, etc.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Rural I bet. Not split phase is it? 460V between phases but still 230V L-N, L-E.

Doesn't look like it from the incomer.  Looks like a 3 phase supply (in the old colours) that's only using the red and yellow phases, plus neutral.  I've not seen a split phase supply for years, although there was one on my uncle's farm around 45 years ago, with a pole-mounted transformer in the yard.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Rural I bet. Not split phase is it? 460V between phases but still 230V L-N, L-E.

Yes rural but not sure about the rest of it all I know is the school is 2 phase

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Doesn't look like it from the incomer.  Looks like a 3 phase supply (in the old colours) that's only using the red and yellow phases, plus neutral.  I've not seen a split phase supply for years, although there was one on my uncle's farm around 45 years ago, with a pole-mounted transformer in the yard.

460V centre tapped to earth. Phases are 180 rather than 120 deg apart.

So centre tap is neutral. Like a big site tranny. The incomer is just a standard 3P one. 

Might make it a bit easier if you were into making phase converters for machinery!

I'm working with HV boys tomorrow so will ask them over tea why this is done.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

460V centre tapped to earth. Phases are 180 rather than 120 deg apart.

So centre tap is neutral. Like a big site tranny. The incomer is just a standard 3P one. 

Might make it a bit easier if you were into making phase converters for machinery!

I'm working with HV boys tomorrow so will ask them over tea why this is done.

Yes, we had that set up on my uncle's farm many years ago.  Not common, though, and I believe it's only ever used for a single consumer fed from their own dedicated transformer.