Can I build over 6 metre semi detached

Mick999

Hi, I’m going to have my foundation dug out to extend my existing extension which is 4.3 metre I have got planning permission to extend 1.7 metre can I go above like 2 metre.

(about a foot more) So it will be 6.30 metre length instead of 6 metre or would I have to get a new plan draw out again.

My house is semi-detached and the garden is very long and wide also the neighbour has the existing extension level with mine south facing so it won’t be blocking any light.

In general, there is a bit of tolerance on dimensions allowed before planners will take either enforcement action.  Our build was challenged by a neighbour (not 100% sure who) on the basis that it was too high.  Luckily I had access to a Total Station and we still had a survey pin in the lane, so when the planning officer came around to check I could easily show that the ridge height was slightly lower than we had approval for.  During the conversation with the planning officer I asked how much leeway they allowed on dimensions, and he said +/- 100mm. 

Based on that, I'd say that you're unlikely to get away with a ~300mm increase, although it would probably be at the discretion of your local planning department.  Worst case is that they could get you to pull the extension down and rebuild it to the correct dimensions.  Best case is that they might accept the change and just ask for another application (and fee) as a material amendment.  It's anyone's guess as to what they might do, though.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mick999 said:

My house is semi-detached and the garden is very long and wide also the neighbour has the existing extension level with mine south facing so it won’t be blocking any light.

Would making yours 6.3m make it deeper than the neighbours? If not then perhaps point that out and ask the planners if they will accept  a it as a non-material amendment.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1