Hydronic Plinth Heaters - any good?

davidk

The title says it all, extension planning is moving forward and we should have a full drawing package to allow us to go to tender this week.

My main issue is that wall space is limited in the kitchen for radiators and our budget won’t stretch to wet UHF (retrofit or entirely new) and I also didn’t want the added expense of having to take the existing subfloor up to get the required depth. 

have been looking at hydronic plinth heaters for the kitchen (5.5m x 3.5m) and new utility room (2.4m x 2.6m) but finding any definitive reviews has been difficult. 

anyone any opinions on these or alternatives

Cheers!

we have two wet underplinth heaters fitted in our kitchen to supplement a small rad. I quite like them, unobtrusive and with two fan speeds the slow speed is pretty quiet, you can tell its on just but not so that you have to speak louder or turn the telly up.

For us they are also useful as we have an old farmhouse with solid walls and no dpc, so I like the idea of some area circulation being created under the kitchen cupboards to mitigate any dampness in the walls.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by mm289

It sounds like its worth investing in a two speed unit - I've got the Smiths space saver economy one, great unit but the lack of speed control I guess is whats contributing to the noise as it's permanently on 'high'.

Really does pump out the heat tho.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrMagic said:

It sounds like its worth investing in a two speed unit - I've got the Smiths space saver economy one, great unit but the lack of speed control I guess is whats contributing to the noise as it's permanently on 'high'.

Really does pump out the heat tho.

They’re definitely notable on the higher setting, so deffo go for the 2-speed. These also come with a remote control ( hard wired usually ) to save your back ;)
Remember to factor in maintenance as the heat exchanger needs periodic vacuum / brush cleaning ( or possibly blowing through in situ with compressed air ) to stay efficient. As these suck air in down st floor level they are prone to dust / hair contamination which will eventually render them ineffective. 

Gents thanks so much for the informative replies, I’ll definitely look into the 2 speed units. 

SAP calculations came in today so we’ve got our Part L compliance ok and revised SE and working drawings due by end of the week. 

Time getting close to go cap in hand to the mortgage company and out to tender!! ?