House rates prediction

StevieD

Hi

When planning a new build - is there a method or guideline to pre-emptively calculate/predict the rates for the property once it is built? Is there a bracket between m2 of the dwelling, a difference between 1 + half than a 2 storey, size of garage, etc.? I intend to install a sizeable portable shed at some stage but I don't think this should affect it.

If I knew there was say a 10-15% difference in rates between having a 200m2+ dwelling than keeping it under, I would design it accordingly. We are based in a fairly rural area and will need to connect to electric grid just.  

From what I could gather from the VOA assessor, the only things they use are the gross footprint (measured outside the house), the number of bedrooms and whether or not the house has central heating.  I made the point to our assessor that our walls were significantly thicker than those on a less well insulated house, so the internal area would be less.  I believe the valuation process is a pretty crude one, really, and much depends on the location and the value of surrounding houses.  You can appeal the banding, if you believe that the VOA have got it wrong, although what the chances are of getting any reduction in banding I don't know.

I have appealed a couple of bandings successfully some years ago.  It was possible to have a dialogue with the assessor and they seemed fairly amenable if one was able to give evidence of similar houses in a lower band than they had proposed.

I've heard stories that they can higher if you have a lot of en-suites/bathrooms and other factors of your dwelling  In my area, it seems that they base the assessment on a formula where it is the value of property x 'domestic rate poundage' and have a conversation on anything that can be mitigated.

If I knew what could help at planning stage to mitigate, i can design/plan around it.

Apparently a relative had his reduced due to a pig farm being started in his area. Where is the guidance for the layman?

20 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

You can appeal the banding, if you believe that the VOA have got it wrong, although what the chances are of getting any reduction in banding I don't know.

We have appealed twice and had the band reduced in both cases. It's a simple process, which they may well challenge, as they did with our first appeal. It went right to the line with them dropping out of the tribunal process with only a week to go before the hearing.

• Like 1