Recent weather and whistling in shower

ryder72

My house was built in 2017/18 and had a wet room on the first floor with a shallow trapped waste that connects to a SVP. There is also a washbasin and a toilet drains into this SVP on the first floor and a utility room sink at the ground floor. The SVP is vented in the flat roof and has a bird cage type contraption fitted to it.

During the recent high winds I started to notice a whistling sound in the ensuite and initially worried that something might be damaged on the roof. Access to this roof is not easy, nor is the top of the SVP visible (hidden behind a parapet) from ground level. 

After a bit of investigating, it has become apparent that the vastly varying wind pressure is causing water to be sucked out of the waste and this in turn admits air into room causing the whistling sound. Running the shower for a few seconds to fill the trap back up stops this noise till the water drains away again. The recent stormy weekends have been the only occasions we have experienced this.

Is there a solution to this problem?

3 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

We have the same problem with a bath that no body uses much and when the trap empties you get a nasty smell so I just run the bath tap every so often to keep it topped up but it is a pain..

+1 ?, only no smell but in the quiet of the night you can hear the treatment plant “bubbling away”.

On 24/02/2020 at 12:40, MikeSharp01 said:

Shower more frequently? We have the same problem with a bath that no body uses much and when the trap empties you get a nasty smell so I just run the bath tap every so often to keep it topped up but it is a pain..

Used daily. 

On 24/02/2020 at 12:58, Delicatedave said:

Can't you just drop showing on the shower waste. A bit of soft plastic perhaps which can be just slid sideways when the shower is used.

Its a good point. A rubber mat might do it.

Its not been a problem for 2+ years and now we have weekly storms so its getting annoying.

On 28/02/2020 at 16:29, MJNewton said:

Is there room for a waterless trap eg HepVO or similar? 

Impossible to fit anything now unless we cut out the ceiling below and replace.

The only solution I can see  is the mat solution during extreme weather which is now turning into normal weekend weather..

18 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

The only solution I can see  is the mat solution during extreme weather which is now turning into normal weekend weather..

My neighbour has the exact same issue, and resolves with a damp towel over the drain when stormy outside.  Seems to be a combination of a shallow trap and as you described, pressure differential caused by wind.

• Like 1