Internal Walls on Floor panels or direct on the joists?

MikeSharp01

I have the internal walls on the first floor going up and I initially thought I would build them on the joists but I have been told that I could just put the whole floor down, 22mm Kaber protect+, and build them on that - thus making things a bit simpler, somewhat safer when building and more fireproof when finished does that sound about right? (There are a couple of places where structural beams go up through and these will not sit on the floor panels as they may crush!)

Edited by MikeSharp01
typo

Yep straight of the boards, makes it so much easier to board a large are instead of small rooms

just look on the floor manufacturers details to look at noggins under the walls especially walls that run parallel with the joists so no joist directly under new wall. 

Check your leadings of these new walls in case one is carrying part of a roof load. 

Dont forget your vcl (Tony tray) before you joist it and board it out. 

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Dont forget your vcl (Tony tray) before you joist it and board it out. 

What is one of those? and is it needed on internal floors?

As for the boarding out, i have only ever seen boarding done over the whole floor level first.

@Moonshine this could be difficult to describe 

a tony tray was something a bloke called tony came up with?

basicaly you will have a vapour control layer on an inner wall surface to prevent moisture entering your wall. 

So you have built the ground floor and have nice flat walls, perfect for excepting your vcl, then you interrupt this nice flat wall by sticking the ends of all your floor joists into it, this makes it a complete bugger to install your vcl, you will need to tape around all the joist ends poking it in little corners, just imagine a total pain in the bum. 

So a tony tray is a strip of your chosen vcl that you install horizontaly around the building at joist level so it drops down into the room below and pokes up into the first floor rooms above, you leave it all hanging a bit loose with a few staples to hold it in place. 

Then when you install your joists you trap this membrane in place and fit your floor, you will be left with a bit of vcl hanging down and a bit poking up, when you come to install the rest of you vcl you can then tape it to the tony tray to bomplete your floor to ceiling vcl. 

Hope that made sense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

@Moonshine this could be difficult to describe 

a tony tray was something a bloke called tony came up with?

basicaly you will have a vapour control layer on an inner wall surface to prevent moisture entering your wall. 

So you have built the ground floor and have nice flat walls, perfect for excepting your vcl, then you interrupt this nice flat wall by sticking the ends of all your floor joists into it, this makes it a complete bugger to install your vcl, you will need to tape around all the joist ends poking it in little corners, just imagine a total pain in the bum. 

So a tony tray is a strip of your chosen vcl that you install horizontaly around the building at joist level so it drops down into the room below and pokes up into the first floor rooms above, you leave it all hanging a bit loose with a few staples to hold it in place. 

Then when you install your joists you trap this membrane in place and fit your floor, you will be left with a bit of vcl hanging down and a bit poking up, when you come to install the rest of you vcl you can then tape it to the tony tray to bomplete your floor to ceiling vcl. 

Hope that made sense 

makes sense to me but how do you stop the joist hanger nails turning the VCL into a sieve?