Wood Fibre Insulation - Pavaflex/Pavatherm

Joanna Susskind

Hey everyone.

I am on the case trying to find a good reasonably priced source for Pavaflex/Pavatherm - can anyone advise? We've found some online that would be shipped from afar. Our house is 150sqm and the cost is currently sitting around about 13k-15k for the insulation. Would love to be able to shave some off that...

We have quite strict planning conditions and our wall build up all relies on this product, so there's no option to change the material (before anyone suggests we use Kingspan!) Any advice on sourcing this and installing it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joanna

Screenshot_2020-02-24_at_12_07_25.png

No idea if it would meet your planning restrictions, but have you considered an I-beam frame with blown cellulose?  IIRC the U-values for cellulose & wood fibre are similar, the advantage of this method is a reduced timber fraction in the frame & ease of achieving the claimed performance of the insulation. When I looked it was also cheaper...

2 minutes ago, Nick1c said:

No idea if it would meet your planning restrictions, but have you considered an I-beam frame with blown cellulose?  IIRC the U-values for cellulose & wood fibre are similar, the advantage of this method is a reduced timber fraction in the frame & ease of achieving the claimed performance of the insulation. When I looked it was also cheaper...

Everything is specced and we're doing it ourselves, so I'm not sure as my husband and crew have never done that before - the wood fibre has been submitted to BC too, and dictates our wall build up - also fully specced... so I'm not sure! will look in to it though, thanks :) 

23 minutes ago, Joanna Susskind said:

Everything is specced and we're doing it ourselves, so I'm not sure as my husband and crew have never done that before - the wood fibre has been submitted to BC too, and dictates our wall build up - also fully specced... so I'm not sure! will look in to it though, thanks :) 

I would be surprised if BC even care TBH.  Ours checked the ground floor joists and are coming back when the roof is on!

7 hours ago, Joanna Susskind said:

We have quite strict planning conditions and our wall build up all relies on this product, so there's no option to change the material

@Joanna Susskind can you share the exact wording of the planning condition as other than for a type of facing brick or tile (ie Ibstock Beamish Blend) planners can not dictate the use of a product by name for something that would never be seen.  

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

@Joanna Susskind can you share the exact wording of the planning condition as other than for a type of facing brick or tile (ie Ibstock Beamish Blend) planners can not dictate the use of a product by name for something that would never be seen.  

agree, planning care about how it looks and BC will only care that it meets regs; so provided you meet / exceed the U value surely they cant dictate insulation type!

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

It's not that, but everything about our design is around the size of the pavatex and pavatherm wall build up. So we would need to find an exact match and adjust our whole plan if we change the materials now.... Plus we want to use the wood fibre! Just looking for a good supplier.

10 minutes ago, Joanna Susskind said:

It's not that, but everything about our design is around the size of the pavatex and pavatherm wall build up. So we would need to find an exact match and adjust our whole plan if we change the materials now.... Plus we want to use the wood fibre! Just looking for a good supplier.

I am intrigued to know what is so different about your design.  It is surely a timber frame clad with wood fibre board (as is mine) and something (which may or may not be wood fibre) filing the frame.

Have you tried the likes of insulation superstore for the wood fibre board?

Perhaps the compromise needed as as I did, keep the wood fibre board on the outside but change for a different material to fill the frame with.

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am intrigued to know what is so different about your design.  It is surely a timber frame clad with wood fibre board (as is mine) and something (which may or may not be wood fibre) filing the frame.

Have you tried the likes of insulation superstore for the wood fibre board?

Perhaps the compromise needed as as I did, keep the wood fibre board on the outside but change for a different material to fill the frame with.

Nothing so different - but why must we change? We want to use natural materials and we love the qualities of the wood fibre. We're making the Douglas Fir frame of the house ourselves (using hand tools) right now onsite! Our project is the first of it's kind in Scotland - right in Glasgow City Centre. We are the first of 6 builders to start and someone has already commissioned us to build another house exactly like ours on one of the Scottish Western Isles! This is our dream, so we want to stick to the plan, if we can. We have budgeted for the wood fibre and would like to be able to use it. Ideally we want to avoid rock wool and Kingspan as they aren't nice to work with, and we are installing everything ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/08/2019 at 14:14, the_r_sole said:

who's your engineer for the project? do GCC give you soil test/trail pit results with the plots or have they already tamed engineers to deliver on the plots?

It's an interesting design that you've gone for, it's very rural in character - is your big window looking to the canal?

46 minutes ago, ProDave said:

^^ No vapour control / Air tight layer?

What external finish?

The OSB provides the airtightness. There isn't any requirement for a membrane with our insulation... Attaching PDF with full details here. Board & baton larch cladding on the outside. Like the attached image...

garage-with-living-quarters-2.jpg

Timber_frame_techincal_manual.pdf

On 24/02/2020 at 16:06, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Have you contacted the manufacturer directly? I don't know how many packs 150m2 comes to, but they may sell to you direct?

This worked out really well! Found someone who's selling direct and got a massive discount on delivery... thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Joanna Susskind said:

The OSB provides the airtightness. There isn't any requirement for a membrane with our insulation... Attaching PDF with full details here. Board & baton larch cladding on the outside. Like the attached image...

Timber_frame_techincal_manual.pdf 3.55 MB · 0 downloads

Our design was the same, but while OSB can provide the air tightness, I was not convinced it was enough as the vapour barrier so I chose to add an air tight / vapour tight membrane over the OSB on the inside.