I've got a backdoor bender : help me mend it please.

ToughButterCup

Our cottage is built facing south west and so traps every last bit of bad weather.

And the back door 'gets it' . The last month or so has pushed it beyond its limits. Its developed a curve that would make Beckham proud.

20200224_100408.thumb.jpg.bfb711a7a13e9f000b8d050cab2ad682.jpg

Awful innit? Question is how to mend it?

The vertical lines  are  strips of timber are fixed with nails top and bottom. What a silly design for an external door. But then nobody asked me ...?

My instinct is to knock the vertical strips of timber all out and make a replacement  ply cover for the hole. But it wont take long before the ply starts to delaminate.

I'm all out of imagination this morning ....... I need a simple quick temporary fix that'll last until the summer, please.

• Like 1

I would replace it with a simple plank pattern UPVC door in rosewood or dark brown colour, especially if there is no lobby etc. That's what I did with my cottage door.

Cost around £500-600 I'm guestimating.

Not sure what your sale plans are, but a new door would be knocked off the offer in all likelihood.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

We had catflap in our old bungalow back door which we didn't want. I took the catflap out and fitted a piece if thin plywood on both sides, painted it and it was still fine when we demolished the bungalow fourteen years later.

• Like 1

So many ways ...... just of the top of my head as I’m on lunch brake !

assuming this is inside ? and your not wanting to spend money on it..,.. 

Orange - infill with some cross bars to a depth that will bring them level with the face of the door  (ignoring the bow) 

the purple are attached to the orange but are longer so that they can be attached to the door face 

go outside and ram in a bunch of screws to pull the bowed door panels up tight to the orange , purple braces. 
if you want to make it a bit less draughty staple a bit of roofing paper over the inside before braces.

right back to building. 

297B51E9-6442-4B72-B7DB-D289C9CE0B55.jpeg

9C264FFB-E74D-4487-8B9C-10E17A9FC7AE.jpeg

• Like 1